Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
First shot a bad one.. Advice? >

First shot a bad one.. Advice?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First shot a bad one.. Advice?

Old 10-17-2012, 09:27 AM
Spike

Default First shot a bad one.. Advice?

So I finally put some time in the stand get my first deer in and made a bad shot I think. No excuse but I let the adrenalin get me and I wasn't properly anchored hit too for back. I'm not sure what I'm looking at though. At the sight of impact I have large chunks of guts then no more guts just blood. The arrow has slight blood but chunks of matter. The deer ran 10 yards stopped then ran off. Straight gut shot or do you think I hit something vital?
Old 10-17-2012, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a gut shot, but may have also got liver. What color was the blood? Did you shoot this deer last night or the morning?

if you shot last night, now would be the time to get out and track, if it was this morning I'd wait a little longer. Take the time to read the sticky on "after the shot" at the top of the page, it will provide a ton of help.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:37 AM
Spike

It was this morning. The blood was bright red no bubbles
Old 10-17-2012, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you clipped the liver also - if you got out quickly without jumping it the deer may not have travelled far. It's also possible you'll have a longer tracking job, I tracked a liver hit deer for a 1/4 mile a couple years ago before I found him.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:46 AM
Spike

Do u think I will find this deer
Old 10-17-2012, 09:50 AM
Typical Buck

Try and get hold of a tracking dog in your area: http://deersearch.org/.

They can do wonders on gut shot deer recovery.

-fsh
Old 10-17-2012, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

A liver shot deer will die, and hitting guts will slow it down as well. If you loose the track, sit back and think of the big picture about where this deer was heading. If going downhill, the deer will probably stop wherever it would have to go uphill. Check any water sources and again, read the Recovery sticky on the top of the Bowhunting page. Much greater detail there.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:00 AM
Typical Buck

Get out there and track. That is your only chance of finding it!
Old 10-17-2012, 02:04 PM
Fork Horn

Gut shot or liver shot deer will find water if they live long enough. Check all the waterholes within 200 yards of where you last saw it. Look under any and all the brush around the entire body of water. As long as it wasn't pushed it will lay down as soon as it doesn't feel threaten. As soon as dehydration sets in it will find water..no question and it won't take long.

It is their natural born instinct!
Old 10-17-2012, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

dead by now. waitin for you to grab it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.