Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
First shot a bad one.. Advice? >

First shot a bad one.. Advice?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First shot a bad one.. Advice?

Old 10-17-2012, 03:07 PM
Spike

I waited 4 hours found good blood for 100 yards then nothing at all. It ended right before a big downhill slope. I took my father in law with me combed thru the area but came up empty no more blood no deer. I walked along the stream that runs thru the area. Not a happy guy right now
Old 10-17-2012, 06:17 PM
Fork Horn

It must be fairly worm out,especially today. This unfortunately happens to the best of us. I lost one a few years back and by morning when I found him the coyotes had a nice time. It's an unfortunate thing.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:00 PM
Dominant Buck

The critters love you. It won't go to waste. Make a better shot next time.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:44 PM
Fork Horn

You can't go through all of that without improving on your hunting skills, so this was a learning experience.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

That sounds exactly like the tracking job I mentioned earlier, I found that deer about 200 yards after last blood. I ended up going further away to a bedding area I knew of, then backtracked towards where I last had blood. Found him in about 10 minutes.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:05 AM
Spike

Sorry to hear you couldn't find it. Ive had them go nearly a mile after a gut shot. If all you saw when you were tracking it was blood and you knew you made a gut shot thats bad news. sometimes you'll see gut chunks scattered around and then you know he didnt make it far. chances are he it went and bedded down after being hit and ended up dying there.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by wallhangr
That sounds exactly like the tracking job I mentioned earlier, I found that deer about 200 yards after last blood. I ended up going further away to a bedding area I knew of, then backtracked towards where I last had blood. Found him in about 10 minutes.
yeah and usually they take the path of least resistance. most the time they are only 30-50 yards er so past last blood. nothing better than a good blood dog. i saw one guys dog, he never knew, but she had found the deer b4 we got there, he just didnt listen to her...so even a family pet can help ya out sometimes...just gotta listen to em..lol or you could go walkin for awhile into the unknown lol
Old 10-18-2012, 08:11 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by joker80p
I waited 4 hours found good blood for 100 yards then nothing at all. It ended right before a big downhill slope. I took my father in law with me combed thru the area but came up empty no more blood no deer. I walked along the stream that runs thru the area. Not a happy guy right now

Circle out from last blood, mark where you have covered and keep widening the circle, you should be able to find him using this method. It's not fun but it usually produces results.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:36 PM
Fork Horn

The dog idea works always.