Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Am I just stupid or is this one of bowhuntings growing pains? >

Am I just stupid or is this one of bowhuntings growing pains?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Am I just stupid or is this one of bowhuntings growing pains?

Old 09-13-2003, 07:31 PM

Default Am I just stupid or is this one of bowhuntings growing pains?

I am pretty much a newbie too bowhunting with this only being my second season. Ive hunted whitetails for years with a rifle though but I got bored and figured I needed a challenge and bowhunting is definately a challenge.

Well today was opener and I decided too hunt out of a ground blind for the first time. Well, this morning no luck, the weather conditions werent exactly cooperative. Well tonight it was nicer and I decided too go out for the eveing rush. Well, I went out about 5:30 because everynight Ive been seeing deer at my inlaws place about 6:45-7:30. Well, I positioned the blind in a spot well covered with shooting lanes on my left and my right. My blind is a three sided ameristep outhouse blind. Well, just like clock work out came a buck, a small one but descent one right too my left. Well, he moved back and forth and finally about 20 minutes later was right in my site about ten feet in front of me. I was shaking too death and the arrow fell off my rest, but too my surprise he looked up puzzled and did nothing. Well, he moved back and forth again moving about 15-20 ft in front of me broadside and I cut loose. Thud, what the heck I said, how did I miss. Well being I never shot out of a blind before, I looked out the window and thought I was clear because my sight was clear but as we all know the arrow sits 2-3 inches below and I shot through the blind deflecting my shot. Dang, how could of I been so stupid. Well too make a long story short, Ive shot a million times practicing all summer long but didnt practice out of the blind. Rookie mistake. Dang, I am pissed, but maybe next time. Will he ever come back too that spot again?
Old 09-13-2003, 07:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Am I just stupid or is this one of bowhuntings growing pains?

Don' t feel too bad, it happens sometimes. Bet you' ll never make that mistake again.

I saw a video once of a guy sitting behind a ground bling made of rocks and he did the exact same thing that you did. In replaying in slow motion you could see the arrow leave the bow and strike the rock sending sparks every where and the arrow flying about 5 feet straight over the deers back.
Old 09-13-2003, 07:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

No you are not stupid........you just learned a lesson. Always practice with the gear you intend to hunt with and how you intend to hunt with it. Now that you' ve learned from your mistake you will be that much ahead of the game next time.

That specific deer might not show again at least for a while, but you said you' ve been seeing deer (plural) from that spot? And it seemed pretty at ease with the blind, so I say make sure you have a good wind and why not try it again?
Old 09-13-2003, 08:04 PM

yes, Ive seen several diffrent deer there and more then one on several diffrent occasions and this was just one buck by himself. I took the blind down and thought I would give that spot a week or two break. There are several other spots I can try so why pressure that one too much.
Old 09-13-2003, 08:24 PM

I did something similar when doing my 1st paper tune. Used a picture frame to hold the paper, got 7' back, aimed dead center, put an arrow through the bottom rail of the frame.[]

Thanks for shareing your woes, I learned something. (I' m a newbie too). I get to make my 1st mistake in 18 days.[X(]

Good Luck
Old 09-13-2003, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats whats so fun(challenging) about bowhunting! Experianced hunters are the ones who rarely make mistakes. Fix the 2 problems you had and think of 2 more you could of had, and your on your way! that buck may not return soon, but a bigger one will(may). You' ll get' em!

Good Luck!
Old 09-13-2003, 09:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Forestore, Man don' t fret it and to tell you the truth, I loved that story.... Hey, that' s bowhunting, don' t you absolutely LOVE IT! You' ll have plenty of opportunity in your bowhunting endeavors to miss, harvest and enjoy. I' d honestly say you had a very successfu hunt. You did the hard part, getting the animal that close, you won....consider it hunt and release...

Great story man, hey can you post a picture of you and your successful harvest of the blind...jk
Old 09-13-2003, 10:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Great story man, hey can you post a picture of you and your successful harvest of the blind...jk
Great stuff, LOL.

MATT/ PA is right if you learned from it you are one more step ahead. Good Luck!!!
Old 09-14-2003, 12:04 AM
Fork Horn

Kinda funny how bow hunters are the only ones that will brag about misses.

It' s a whole different story with a stick and string, there isnt a bowhunter alive that hasn' t made some kind of silly mistake. (I refuse to list mine for lack of space)

The only stupid mistake is the one you don' t learn from.

You' ve conquered half the battle getting them that close. (congradulations)

Old 09-14-2003, 11:34 AM

Welcome to bowhunting Like others have said you had a very good hunt. You learned a valuable lesson, one I' m pretty sure you won' t make a second time. I' mm not willing to list my mistakes due to time and space constraints but you can rest assured that if someone is serious about bow hunting they have made several mistakes[8D] Might try a capture rest, that will help tremendously when Buck Fever sets in. Good luck next time and it would be nice to see the harvest picture of the blind[]

Quick Reply: Am I just stupid or is this one of bowhuntings growing pains?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.