Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
How much is too much wind >

How much is too much wind

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How much is too much wind

Old 10-06-2012, 01:29 AM
Spike

Default How much is too much wind

I am a relatively new hunter. I've heard that it is useless to hunt when the wind is up from a stand because the deer just hunker down somewhere. Is this true? How much wind is too much?

Today it will be 10 gusting to 20? But I'm going anyway because today is the only day I have for a while.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:31 AM
Typical Buck

I was out last night in Wisconsin. 40-45 degrees with 30 mph wind with 45 mph gusts. It was the best night yet. Passed up a decent 8 pt because the right beam was broke off at the end. But in all I seen about 20-25 deer.

One real small 8pt 1.5 yr old was chasing pretty good too.

You might get in your stand and think to yourself at first that your not going to see any deer due to wind. But sometimes you don't see deer when conditions are ideal. Be patient. Wind also works in your favor. Last night I had some stuff in my throat and couldn't help clearing it once in a while, even when there were a few does 20 yards away. The only hard thing is that they will sneak up on you without you hearign a thing.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:32 AM
Typical Buck

Also, 10 gusting to 20 seems to be a relatively normal day. Maybe a little breezy but good.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:22 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with 2 previous posters plus it all depends what the normal wind conditions are in your area and what the deer are use to.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

If your tree is swaying to much to get a clean shot pick a wider tree or start still hunting.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

nothin wrong with wind..put it in yer face and stalk, its alot harder for the deer to hear ya coming.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:21 PM
Fork Horn

Calm days I always hunt from a stand and I may or may not see any deer. Windy days I love! I spot & stalk on the ground. See deer everytime and have killed more deer on the ground than from any tree stand. Move when the wind blows and stop, look, & listen when it stops. Always move with the wind in your face and so slow it almost hurts. Use tree's, bushes, shrubs, or any cover you can to your advantage and use binoculars as your eye's. They'll allow you to see farther out and spot something before they spot you!
Old 10-06-2012, 05:13 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by 7MMXBOLT
Calm days I always hunt from a stand and I may or may not see any deer. Windy days I love! I spot & stalk on the ground. See deer everytime and have killed more deer on the ground than from any tree stand. Move when the wind blows and stop, look, & listen when it stops. Always move with the wind in your face and so slow it almost hurts. Use tree's, bushes, shrubs, or any cover you can to your advantage and use binoculars as your eye's. They'll allow you to see farther out and spot something before they spot you!
+1
I do the same when it's raining too.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Deer will move when it's windy, but they tend to be jumpy and more on alert. I don't enjoy hunting when it's real windy because everything is moving (that's why they're jumpy) and you can't hear anything. They will move though, they've got to eat!