Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Dead Deer in IL. >

Dead Deer in IL.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Dead Deer in IL.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default Dead Deer in IL.

Just saw on our local news that somewhere in the neighborhood of 2000 dead deer have been found in 76 counties throughout IL. Anybody know if any have been found in southern IL ?
Old 10-06-2012, 03:41 AM
Spike

Yes they have. As far south as Carbondale anyways. Damned drought. They get sick, try moving to a better water source, and die on the way. Found what would have been a gorgeous 12pt typical dead by a creek 4 weeks ago..
Old 10-06-2012, 06:56 AM
Banned

they dont die moving to a better water source they die from blue tongue(EHD) the reason they are most often found in close prox to water is because the disease gives them a fever and they seek water to cool down.

just got back from south east IL. Mcleansboro. and the landowner had not walked his property to check but we found one that died so chances are there are many more.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by snapper1982
they dont die moving to a better water source they die from blue tongue(EHD) the reason they are most often found in close prox to water is because the disease gives them a fever and they seek water to cool down.
X2

So far where I hunt in Central Illinois I think we are still in pretty good shape. Hopefully most of us got a freeze last night in the Midwest. That will end it almost immediately.

I'll be hunting down near Marion/Harrisburg this fall too. I really hoping that it didn't hit that area too bad.

I have heard that some farms got hit really hard losing a good amount of deer but a two miles away deer herds are almost untouched.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fastetti
X2

So far where I hunt in Central Illinois I think we are still in pretty good shape. Hopefully most of us got a freeze last night in the Midwest. That will end it almost immediately.

I'll be hunting down near Marion/Harrisburg this fall too. I really hoping that it didn't hit that area too bad.

I have heard that some farms got hit really hard losing a good amount of deer but a two miles away deer herds are almost untouched.
It was hit as well!!! We hunt all around that area and over to Garden of the Gods area and we have found them through out. It don't matter where you go, your nose will let ya know!!!
We just came back from HogRock this past weekend and found 2 in the camp from when we set up last weekend!!! And thats 100yds from the Il River!!!!
Old 10-08-2012, 06:32 AM
Fork Horn

I have buddies who fish lake shelbyville every weekend and they have lost count how many deer they have seen laying dead along the shore line. We have found a few down in Wayne county on my cousins farm.

If they have 2000 reported then I have to believe the total is at least 4000 dead because not everybody reports a dead deer. I know farmers who could care less and just go about there day when they find a dead deer.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:06 AM
Fork Horn

here is southeast VA there is a major issue aswell with this blue tongue. many, many nice bucks have been found all over by farmers and hunt club members out working or scouting areas. all deer were found near water or in the water. very sad cause most these deer were very nice bucks for the area and have lived through many seasons to get that big and die from this disease. Hope they had many offspring that will continue to reproduce
Old 10-08-2012, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Secondchance, I hunted about two miles from Garden of the Gods about three years ago for shotgun season. Only saw one deer between the two of us, a 7 point that I took out. Thats horrible to hear about down there, great area and with the hunting pressure it gets for gun season, they really could use every deer they can down there! I saw camps that look like they had 8 to 10 guys and only had 2 to 4 hanging after the first two days of the season. Hopefully the population will bounce back quick. I know the area I'm going to be hunting this fall had a lot of water sources that didn't dry up so I'm hoping the deer didn't have to congragate too much.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:45 AM
Fork Horn

Ya the EHD map is up on prairiestateoutdoors with the new update not good......they might have it up on the DNR site also...
Old 10-09-2012, 06:53 AM
Typical Buck

I'm sure the count is way past 2000. Nobody I know calls em in anymore. Doesn't do any good. My neighbors and I found over 70

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.