Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
PSE Bow Madness XS >

PSE Bow Madness XS

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

PSE Bow Madness XS

Old 09-08-2012, 05:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default PSE Bow Madness XS

Anybody shoot one ? Bought one new, 2011 model. Love it so far, but my old set up was 7 years old. I'm sure there is a lot of advancements on this new bow from my old set up. If anyone shoots one, would like to know what your thoughts are. My bow is the 50-60 lb with a 28" draw. Dropped down on my poundage from my old set. I've had a several hearts surgeries, so the there is some muscle and skeletal issues I deal with drawing a bow. Just can't bring myself to buy a crossbow, I am NOT knocking the crossbow, guys, just my preference.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:48 PM
Spike

I shot one for 3 years. I just traded in and upgraded to a Mathews Z7 Extreme. The BowMadness XS is a great little bow. I thought it drew quite smooth and had good speed for a short bow. I had to add a few accessories as it was a little loud for my liking but, to be honest the deer never seemed to notice. I never had one jump the string. You have a nice little shooter there.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:50 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks. I have added a few accessories as well, Toxonics sight, QAD drop away, Kwikee quiver extender, Alpine Soft Lok quiver. Very quiet, and very quick little set up. So far very pleased, really can't wait till the opener ! Thanks for input
Old 09-12-2012, 01:55 PM
Spike

I shoot the exact same bow at a 29" draw. I'm shooting roughly 55lbs and with a 415gr arrow/broadhead it shoots around 250fps, which is plenty for deer. The arrows I use are carbon express mayhem 250's at 30" with 100gr broadheads. I like it so far. My first recommendation would be to get a new string for it if it still has the factory string. The factory string is junk if you are going to shoot very much. My peep would twist like crazy and the string wasn't holding up too well. I hunt out of a ground blind a lot (turkeys) and one of my main deer stands requires me to stay sitting down to shoot, and the short axle to axle length of the xs makes this much easier compared to bigger bows.

One thing that may not bother you at all, but I am somewhat OCD about, is you really need an adjustable height quiver or your arrow nocks will stick out way past your bow on the bottom. I bought a trophy ridge "threat" quiver and mounted the bracket right at the top of the riser and it keeps the arrows tucked in to the bow, and the ends don't stick out past the limbs on either side.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:57 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by imabballer
I bought a trophy ridge "threat" quiver and mounted the bracket right at the top of the riser and it keeps the arrows tucked in to the bow, and the ends don't stick out past the limbs on either side.
Would love to see a picture of this. I've been looking at the XS for S&Gs. I have the Z7X and I shot the PSE when I was shopping around. I think the PSE would make a fun little bow to play around with.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:03 PM
Fork Horn

I put a Kwikee quiver extender, very light weight, that alleviates that problem. It allows the quiver to be mounted higher on the bow, the arrows do not extende past the cam or the upper wheel. Fits perfect. Only cost bout 9 bucks. Also allows the quiver to hug the bow and don't stick out. Fits very tight. I had been told about the strings, got that taken care of. So far so good. Thanks a lot for all the input. I'll try and post a pic.

Last edited by invmp12; 09-12-2012 at 06:06 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:34 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by peeker
Would love to see a picture of this. I've been looking at the XS for S&Gs. I have the Z7X and I shot the PSE when I was shopping around. I think the PSE would make a fun little bow to play around with.
Here's a pic of my setup. Excuse the poor quality and all the junk on my reloading bench.

Also, does anybody that has or has had a pse bow with the black rubber pieces that they use to help with vibration on the limbs have a problem with them rotting? I had one break off when I got the bow out to take this picture and the other 3 on my limbs all show severe signs of dry rot. I guess I'll have to try the limbsaver made for split limb bows once all these break off.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:22 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by imabballer
Here's a pic of my setup. Excuse the poor quality and all the junk on my reloading bench.
Thanks for the pic. That's a sweet rig you have there. Makes me want one bad. My wife would skin me if I came home with a third bow though. If it helps, I put the alphashox on the Mission Craze I have and they seem to work good.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:51 AM
Fork Horn

be careful who you have work on that! they are extremely hard to press and are notorious for breaking limbs if pressed incorrectly. Other than they are are great little bows! good luck and good shooting!