Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

tree tand

Old 07-26-2012, 02:22 AM
Spike

Smile tree tand

would some one like to explain about juging yardage from a tree stand .all ways used a pendulum sight .bow is a mathews lx 60 lbs pull nap dropzone 200 rest. cabelas 60/70 arrows cut 30. inches 29. draw.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:39 AM
Spike

Figure out the yardage before and put small reflective or the pink tape up as a guideline..or when you pace it out find a tree or a stump and remember that yardage..At my treestand there are thrree stumps in front and they are 10, 17, 22 yards away.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:52 AM
Fork Horn

I use a rangefinder and range trees at the same elevation as I am. More difficult to do hunting a food plot or open area. BUT... for most areas and todays bows, the tree stand distance and the flat distance isnt enough to make a difference. If I range a deer at 20 yards while in my stand, I put my 20 yard pin right where I want to hit. You really dont need to worry about angle composition unless your hunting steep ravines or mountains.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:10 PM
Fork Horn

The way I do it is use a rope. I have a clothes line marked at 10, 20, and 30 yards for the woods and it is marked off at 40 in case I am in open area. I stand about a pace from said tree and use the rope to mark the actual distance. the closer the deer is the higher the shot is going to be. I know the difference in drop of my bow at those yards because I have been prcticing from 15' and 20' hieghts. you will have to mark the distance and begin shooting it to see how high you shoot and learn to compensate. You have to practice shooting from your stand to know how high you shoot. the farther the shoot the less difference or more level the shoot will be. the closer the higher the shot is going to be....... I hope that helps.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yea it's the base distance . Either get distances to spots before climbing the tree or what I do is range find different trees at level sight from the tree . Then I know the distances around me so when a deer walks in I have a good idea how far away by the tree it is near. Plus it gives you something to do while you are waiting for a deer to come in
Old 07-26-2012, 05:24 PM
Spike

I use a range finder that adjust the angle,distance for me. It is very useful
Old 07-27-2012, 03:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

The horizontal distance is the distance you should aim for.

Also, many folks make the mistake of dropping their arm to aim at a downward angle, rather than keeping the arm out straight and bending at the waist. This causes a high miss as well.

Practice this to be sure you are doing it right.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:01 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
The horizontal distance is the distance you should aim for.

Also, many folks make the mistake of dropping their arm to aim at a downward angle, rather than keeping the arm out straight and bending at the waist. This causes a high miss as well.

Practice this to be sure you are doing it right.

absolutly right... forgot about that...
Old 07-30-2012, 08:05 AM
Spike

Find out where you think the best chance of a deer walking is, range find key points around that area so you know.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:56 PM
Spike

Before I bought a rangefinder I would mark the trees with blaze orange thumbtacks.I set up anywhere from 15 to 20 feet in height.It's thick woods and brush in most areas I hunt so 40 yards is my limit.I've never had a problem or missed because of height or yardage.
The correct form is the most important thing to think about.Bend your waist and not your arm.