Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Best non-Thermacell insect repellent?? >

Best non-Thermacell insect repellent??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Best non-Thermacell insect repellent??

Old 08-28-2009, 09:04 AM
Fork Horn

Default Best non-Thermacell insect repellent??

Hey guy, I am wondering what works as an insect repellent but wont alarm deer? Don't worry, I do have a Thermacell and I love it. But, when I am working in the woods, such as clearing shooting lanes, planting food plots, hanging stands, and checking my trail cams, I cant really use a Thermacell.
So I am wondering if you use regular old bug spray, some other product, or just swing by the Red Cross and pick up a couple pints of blood after the woods?
I usually throw on my skeeter head net and try and tough it out but sometimes it just gets bad.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:22 AM
Dominant Buck

Not to hyjack you thread, I would also like to know if there is anything that will keep the gnats away. My thermocell does a great job on everything but gnats.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:26 AM
Fork Horn

THE BEST THING I HAVE EVER USED,, and get get alarmed by who makes it is Avon Skin So Soft (SSS) bug repelent. It comes in arosol, lotion, and pump spray. It contains do deet or real bad chemicals. I can honestly say Ive been fishing and down in chigger fields before, and when everyone was getting chiggers, ticks, mosquito bites, I didnt get a single bite. I was put off at first by the name Avon on it but everyone I have ever let use some of mine went out and ordered some. Great Stuff.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:29 AM
Fork Horn

I heard that if take a dryer sheet ( the white sheets you put in with your laundry) and tie it somewhere on you ( back of your hat perhaps) that this will keep any flying creature away. Now obviously you would not do this come hunting season ( gonna leave a huge sent) but just in the yard, cutting grass, shooting your bow, whatever. Now go and look at my first sentence ...... I heard.... haven't tried it myself but wil this weekend and report back
Old 08-28-2009, 09:32 AM
Fork Horn

I seem to have success with any repellant that has at least 40% DEET. I don't like the way it feels on me, but it does keep them off. If you have sensitive skin I would test it on a small area first, and don't spray it on plastic. It tends to deform it.
I would be interesting to know if there have been studies to see how deer react to the scent of DEET - or thermacell for that matter. Does anyone know?
Old 08-28-2009, 09:45 AM
Fork Horn

I think if you're cutting shooting lanes and moving stands and planting food plots and in general, big stuff like that, bug-spray scent isn't really going to matter all that much. Deep woods off with deet on my skin and permanone spray on my clothing. Not had a chigger all year.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used a permanone spray on my turkey hunting clothes this past spring and did not get a single bug-bite. I hung everything up in the gargage and sprayed it and left til dry. Once dried the only smell was from the earth scent cover that had already been applied. Tics literally jump off anything that has been sprayed.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:11 AM
Fork Horn

no stinkin bugs by Scent Shield works pretty well
Old 08-28-2009, 12:48 PM
Fork Horn

We actually use skin so soft on our horses. It is mixed with a few other things but works well. It has a strong smell so I won't use it will hunting.

By the way one of things in our mixture is diesel fuel. Yeah, real strong smelling!
Old 08-28-2009, 01:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

If your working I don't think it matters, just don't do the same when you hunt. If you scare them working they're kind of conditioned to what you were doing and I'd think it would act as a cover when you hunt. Seems to me it works.

Other than that I'd get some clothes made for it. Used one a few weeks ago and it worked well. Works up north on those bugs. Kind a breezy though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.