Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
One pin for any distance? >

One pin for any distance?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

One pin for any distance?

Old 07-11-2012, 12:14 AM
Spike

Default one more suggestion

Nothing against slide sites etc, just something I started doing as I have a problem telling distances. As a deers chest is close to 16" in the area I hunt, I used two pins. At 20 yards, if I put the top pin on the deers back and the bottom pin is at the bottom of his chest the deer is approximetly 20 yards out. If the chest fits well within the two pins, the deer is over 25 yards out. Of course the size of the deer changes things, but it helps me guestimate distance. As the years have gone by, I'm much better at distances, I bought a range finder. I've still stuck with the two pins and kept my shots within 30 yards.
My recommendation for you is to find something your comfortable with and stick with it.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:23 AM
Spike

It all depends on where you hunt if you hunt woods then you rarely shoot past 25/30 yards so you can use a single fixed pin..but for me i rarely shoot past 20 yards in the woods..so it all depends.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:22 PM
Spike

Just recently bought the HHA. I LOVE it. Not only is it easier for me to see the lone green vertical pin (I've always found green to be much more visible to me than red or yellow, which is standard on most multi-pin sights & the vertical pin acts almost like a crosshair as opposed to coming in horizontally), I've found that I've become much more accurate at longer yardage than I have ever been.
I will say I haven't used it hunting yet, but am getting pretty good at adjusting the dial very quickly and quietly.
I also agree with several previous posters that if you just set it 25 when hunting, you should be good out to 30, and is really no different than "gapping" a multi pin sight.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:53 PM
Spike

i use a multiple pin sight with 5 pins. i thought about upgrading to a one pin sight like your talking about but im shootin dip cans out to 50 yards and didnt want the hassle of sighting it in that good again. I met a guy at a local bow range couple days ago that just put one on his bow and he said he loves it. he did have a multiple pin sight before that and said he doesnt regret changing sights so i guess he like it. I guess it whatever the shooter likes.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:44 PM
Dominant Buck

Bone driven, it's actually very easy to sight in. One pin, 10 feet away from your target on the same horizontal axis with the bulls eye will put you dead on at 22 to 25 yards. It's sweet.