Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

salt block

Old 06-27-2012, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bulltalk,

The deer start hitting the salt around mid March by Sept they are off of it an on acorns. I use it just to get a number count somewhat in the area. Not all deer vist it but some do. I never hunt that area unless the acorns are falling at the trees in the area or they are baby sitting a hot doe around there. i know which trees drop first for the most part. One of the tree in this area where the salt lick is will not drop acorns till around Thanksgiving week.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:42 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by CamoCop
salt licks/blocks are best put out in early spring. the deer will hammer them in the spring through the summer. once the fall get's here, they lay off of them until the upcoming spring again. they will still use them year around, just not as much during the fall and winter.

i make my own licks using 2 parts loose trace minerals (red kind), 1 part DiCal Phosphate and 1 part salt.
this is the same stuff i use... Last year was my first time using it and it was awesome..the deer dug holes almost a foot deep at one of the sites by the end of deer season!