Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

salt block

Old 06-20-2012, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you pour it on the ground in a good area. The salt will draw moisture slowly soak in the ground. If you get a couple good rains on it. They will be all in it. When I pour salt out I usually get 500 or 600 pictures in a few weeks with the camera on it's lowest setting. It will draw most of the bucks in the area.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Put mine out around March. Usually about 150# in each lick area. Use blend of calcium laden minerals and clear white salt.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:23 PM
Spike

Why do you need salt blocks or salt licks ?
Old 06-20-2012, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Salt and Minerals draw Deer in for trail camera pictures,to enhance Antler growth in Bucks and it helps Doe's in milk production for Fawns.....and if Your Hunting You may get a shot at a nice Deer?

Same reason we use Doe Pee,Doe in Estrous scent and Buck Urine on scrapes....another way to draw Deer in to Your Hunting area.

Same reason we rattle Deer Antlers to get a nice Big Buck to come for a fight or use a grunt call or Fawn bleat.....to draw Deer in when Bow or Rifle Hunting.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:40 PM
Typical Buck

It's illegal to use salt blocks , mineral rocks / blocks etc in New York State .
Old 06-23-2012, 08:45 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by GTOHunter
Salt and Minerals draw Deer in for trail camera pictures,to enhance Antler growth in Bucks and it helps Doe's in milk production for Fawns.....and if Your Hunting You may get a shot at a nice Deer?

Same reason we use Doe Pee,Doe in Estrous scent and Buck Urine on scrapes....another way to draw Deer in to Your Hunting area.

Same reason we rattle Deer Antlers to get a nice Big Buck to come for a fight or use a grunt call or Fawn bleat.....to draw Deer in when Bow or Rifle Hunting.
Thanks for reply, I kinda knew that stuff, but was asking because in the states I hunt (pacific northwest or westside) its illegal to use anything that is considered bait or feeding and must be removed 30 days prior to any hunting season starting.

I guess what I meant is how come (besides getting pictures) you would need to bait them ? I have never hunted east, so dont really know how the deer are on that side of the US. so was meaning is it needed in order to get a deer, is it harder to hunt them then the westside ?

I'm kinda old school, was taught to hunt by tracking and standing and have never hunted or sat over bait to get an animal so was just wondering if it is something you have to do on the east side to get a deer?
I guess it probably sounded like a dumb question...lol.....I just see alot of the hunting shows on tv or youtube and they always have feeders or are putting stuff out to draw in the animals where as over here thats a no no and if you get caught doing it you will lose your hunting privelage statewide and in some cases for 10 years.

Hope that helped kinda clarify what I meant, I didnt mean it to sound like a dumb question, was being honest in my question because I dont really know how the hunting differs east vs west.

Arrow2512, I appologize, didnt mean to hijack the thread or get off topic.

Last edited by bulltalk; 06-23-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:10 AM
Typical Buck

BULTALK-Not a problem. Here in INDIANA it is also illegal to hunt buy salt blocks or any other means of baiting. We have to dig the ground up where the salt block was placed 30 days before hunting that spot during the season .Again thanks for all the replies you've been a great help.Good luck to everyone during this up coming season .
Old 06-24-2012, 08:03 AM
Fork Horn

I try a few different attractants each year to see what works. What I found to work the best on my cams is pony pops. It is a molasses grain pop for horses. Everything goes wild for them the downside of them is they only last a few days. I also like the deer cocain powder and buck jam. The only problem I had with these products it the animals finding it. Add some apples or corn to speed up that process. But once they do it will last a few months. Just remember though what works in one area might not work in another.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bulltalk,We are allowed to put out salt and minerals as long as No grain is added for baiting the Deer.We are also allowed to plant food plots thru out the year and You can put out corn and other grains for trail camera pictures etc but it has to be removed 10 days prior to any Hunting.Kinda silly but that's the Laws here in Missouri?

Do we really need to put out salt and minerals to get a Deer...not really but it holds the Deer on your property and the minerals do help in Antler growth and for the Does raising Fawns (milk production)!

We usually hunt in the thick woods if we want to get a nice Buck,if we're looking to fill our freezers with Venison then we hunt by the food plots or trails leading to the food plots for the Does.During the Rut where there are Doe's the Bucks will follow.

As You stated good Scouting and knowing Your Hunting area and patterning Deer will give You the chance at a good Buck...and letting the smaller young Bucks walk will improve the quality of Bucks over time.

Eventually if CWD is detected more here in Missouri the Salt and Minerals won't be allowed any more either....as I type I heard they have banned the salt/minerals in some Counties in Northern Missouri!

Last edited by GTOHunter; 06-24-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:46 PM
Fork Horn

Great for get pics of deer!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.