Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Ghillie Suit -- Pro/Con >

Ghillie Suit -- Pro/Con

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ghillie Suit -- Pro/Con

Old 09-01-2003, 02:35 PM

Default Ghillie Suit -- Pro/Con

I will again this year ask this question: Why not just use a Ghillie type jacket/ poncho? To me it seems like the best type of camo to break up th human form and it blends into any surrounding. I' m interested hearing responses (other than" it looks silly" )
Old 09-01-2003, 02:43 PM
New Sheriff

Default RE: Ghillie Suit -- Pro/Con

Too bulky and too hot for me

I tried one. I couldn' t keep the bowstring out of it.
Old 09-01-2003, 02:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Too bulky and too hot for me
I tried one. I couldn' t keep the bowstring out of it.
mr4pt -From what you stated may I take it that that it would be Ideal during gun hunting later on when its cooler or am I reading too much between the lines.
Old 09-01-2003, 03:54 PM
Typical Buck

A guy I work with has one and swears by it. He does wear a sock on his bow arm to keep from getting the pieces of material in it, otherwise he says it works great. I' ve seen him in the field in it and it does a fantastic job in concealment. Although, as stated, it' s not for hot weather. I might try one myself one of these years but recently bought a new set of bibs and jacket so its out for awhile.
Old 09-01-2003, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree 100% with Mr.4pt. Just to clarify, the ghillie suits I' m talking about are the ones made from strips of burlap and material that is sewn together and looks like something a military sniper would wear. Some people call the " leafy wear" type suits ghillies suits.

My wife bought be one of the ghillie suits out of Cabelas a couple years ago and as great of an idea as it was, I had to send it back, because there was no way I could bowhunt in it.
1) It was heavy! By the time I got it all on, I felt like I had someone riding on my shoulders.lol The head piece seemed especially heavy.
2) The strips of material on the chest and sleeves made it almost impossible for me to even draw back my bow, much less shoot it without the string hanging on the loose material.
3) It was hot.
4) The thing itched and smelled funny!

Jersey to answer you question, yes I think it would be great for gun hunting in cold weather. If you were doing alot of still hunting with a gun or just gun hunting without any type of stand and just want to be able to sit by a tree, then the ghillies suit would be perfect, in my opinion, as long as you wore it mainly in cold or cool weather. I' ll have to admit that the thing looks cool once you get it on. My buddy said it looked like some kind of a swamp monster.lol
Old 09-01-2003, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

because if you hunt those open green fields found out in hightstown with that suit on you will start some big foot sightings and scare the poop out of the deer[]
Old 09-01-2003, 05:34 PM
New Sheriff

Jersey,

Nope, you are right on the money. It would be idea for gun hunting in open terrain...' cept one problem....

In Arkansas, during gun season you must wear hunter orange vest and hat. Do they make the ghillie suit in hunters orange??

That would be kinda silly if you ask me...
Old 09-11-2003, 08:58 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]