Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ghillie Suit

Old 01-28-2008, 06:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default Ghillie Suit

I'm thinking of getting a ghillie suit for bow hunting next season. Did anyone have problems bow hunting with a ghillie suit?
Old 01-28-2008, 06:45 PM

Default RE: Ghillie Suit

There's a few people on here that have used them, I've never heard of any problems with them. To be safe, I would wear an arm guard, just to keep the string clear of the clothing.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:45 PM

I've got one that I made up years ago when I was seriously into paintballing. The biggest problem I can see with using one for archery would be getting the burlap caught in my strings/cables. Add to that the fact that burlap smells...

I've used it for coyote hunting, but the majority of the shots I took were 75+ yards with a .270.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

a buddy of mine has one it has strings on a mesh that blends in well . I wanted to make one one of these days. the only problem was to keep them short where th e string would be while you shoot so they don't get caught . i wanted to use it kind of like a ground blind but with out the blind just camo in the bush.
here are a couple pics of him

Old 01-29-2008, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sure blends inwell, But they do stink.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MarquetteMagnum

Sure blends inwell, But they do stink.
Burlap is one of those things that never lose their smell. I wonder if deer find it offensive? I'm not big on cover scents.More into trying to smell like nothing but I would think that burlap would be a very effective cover scent if the deer don't mind it.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had one. The burlap one I had was very heavy and extremely hot to wear during early bow and spring turkey season. Stunk really bad, too. I bought a leafy suit and use it alot now. Much lighter weight and no smell.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:16 AM

i wear a leafy suit, i think it helps, sometimes you still get caught but i think the percentages are down. especially effective over ghillie suit due to no smell, you can also go to wal mart get a yard of camo material and make your own, i made my own hat and gloves doing this, the nice thing again is its cotton so no smell.