Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
bucks are they worth passing up a doe >

bucks are they worth passing up a doe

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

bucks are they worth passing up a doe

Old 01-30-2002, 01:59 AM

Default RE: bucks are they worth passing up a doe

ill take either one, as long as the buck isnt small.if hes small ill let him walk
Old 01-30-2002, 09:29 AM

the first 2 that walk under me go in the freezer then i will start being choosey

Old 01-30-2002, 09:29 AM

the first 2 that walk under me go in the freezer then i will start being choosey

Old 01-30-2002, 09:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Depends upon if I can see the buck behind her and how big his headgear is! But generally, yes -- I'll let the does walk until the very last week or two of the season.
Old 01-30-2002, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Because I like bucks with big racks, I often shoot does. I had a hard time at first since I usually held out, but now we have to shoot 2 does if we want to shoot a 2nd buck. I will shoot a large doe any day before I shoot a small buck, but if I have to choose <u>just one</u>--I'll go with the mature buck (8 points or better)!
Old 01-30-2002, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would much rather take a doe than a &quot;dink&quot;,those little yearling bucks that all these mighty &quot;bowhunters&quot; whack just so they can tell their buddies...&quot;Yeah, I got MY buck this year&quot;.....give me a break!!! I would like to tell 'em all &quot;Congrats on tagging the most nieve and easily killed deer in the entire herd.&quot; If your a &quot;meat hunter&quot; than shoot a doe!!! I still believe the term &quot;meat hunter&quot; is often used by bad hunters.Guys that couldn't match wits with a mature whitetail if their lives depended on it.If ya say you don't really care about rack than PLEASE let the little one walk and &quot;Take a DOE so the herd won't grow&quot;, do your part to help manage this great species.Thanks
Old 01-30-2002, 11:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

For eating there is nothing better than a young doe, next comes a young buck, third comes a doe, the older a buck gets the tougher and gamier they get. Now if the weather is right and I can let them hang for 7-10 days even an old buck is good eating. Remember you can not eat antlers. Another thing I have noticed is a buck in full rut is a lot stronger than a pre-rut buck or a post rut buck.

The Tazman
Old 01-30-2002, 11:15 AM

Even though doe's are pretty much unlimited where i hunt I have never taken one and probably never will. It is a personal decision and I have no problem with guys who shoot lots of doe's. It is just not for me.
Old 01-30-2002, 12:42 PM

I held out for a lot of years before I shot my first deer with a bow. The only stipulation I made for myself was it had to be a buck and a good clean shot. Now I shoot the most mature deer in the heard that I can, be it a buck or doe. Thats just my choice.
Old 01-30-2002, 01:43 PM

This was my first season of hunting. Did not get either, but buck or doe, it will be a trophy to me!

Quick Reply: bucks are they worth passing up a doe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.