Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 making a mock scrape >

making a mock scrape

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

making a mock scrape

Old 08-25-2003, 02:23 PM

Default making a mock scrape

what scent is best to get it started and to keep it going?
Old 08-25-2003, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: making a mock scrape

Probably MOST important is location. It has to be in an area where bucks feel safe visiting it during shooting hours for it to be of any benefit to you. Near bedding areas for late afternoon hunts is preferable, and will take some experimenting. Later in the season, make them near existing scrapes you find or simply take the deer made ones over.

Best bet is probably basic buck urine, or synthetics like Hawgs Unlimited or Robinson Labs...

Or your own urine. Just read an interview in this months Bowhunting World with Mike Weaver (I think that was his name). He has more P&Y entries than anyone, and he urinates freely when he hunts, even uses his own pee to freshen or open scrapes and consistently kills several big deer each year.

Urine is basically Urine. As long as you don' t contaminate the area with non-urine smells (like smelly pubes), I don' t think it makes a difference whether you use yours fresh or from a bottle you paid for...
Old 08-25-2003, 07:39 PM

Default RE: making a mock scrape

As I have said many times on the subject, check out hawgs limited web site. Thier meathod seems to be the most growing in popularity these days, I personally am currently " experimenting" with thier scents with my own little meathods, and I plan on going out in the morning to check out what I got going. The best tactic is to make sure you go to an area that is " high traffic" and that there has been real scrapes in the past.