Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mock scrape???

Old 10-07-2007, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Mock scrape???

I'm starting to findsmall but fresh scrapes and was wondering if anyone successfully makes mock scrapes that the deer tend once started? Not sure what I would doctor them with this early. Maybe a little young buck lure? I know alot of you guys don't use scents but I have had great success with them.

Was thinking on buying one of those scrape makers but I think they have sold them all. Maybe I can find a good stick
Old 10-07-2007, 09:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Mock scrape???

Yeah, save you money and find a good stick.

The studies I've seen show that buck scents are better than doe scents. Right now does are not ready, you'll do more harm than good with estrous scents. If you want to make mock scrapes, use buck lure.

Why not hunt over existing ones unless they are not were you want them? Scrapes are finicky business. Some are only checked at night. Others are only checked from downwind so be sure to set up enough distance downwind from your mock scrape and good luck.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I went out and made some this year, but have not had much luck with it. I only had one that was checked by a small buck a few times but that was all that I got out of them.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

get yourself a sitck and a small container, or a couple film containers, take some of the from one scrape, go to a location near yourstand that you know the deer are using, scrpae the leaves back with the stick, screape up the ground, pour the dirt form one scrape into your mock scrape and keep an eye on it.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:48 PM
Spike

Pre/Post Rut from Hawg's Limited works great forearly season mock scrapes. One of the few mock scrape lures that isn't a rut type scent.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont do much as far as mock scrapes go but one thing I do like to do once the rut starts getting close and the bucks really start to scrape is get some tarsal scent/buck urine and poor a little into some of the scrapes around my stand. I hunted a stand last year that had one big scrape by it and I poored some tarsal scent in it after I got done hunting it and the next morning that scrape was twice the size as the day before and and there were 4 other fresh scrapes within 50 yards. I think it kinda irratates the buck if you do that.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:25 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: passthru79

I dont do much as far as mock scrapes go but one thing I do like to do once the rut starts getting close and the bucks really start to scrape is get some tarsal scent/buck urine and poor a little into some of the scrapes around my stand. I hunted a stand last year that had one big scrape by it and I poored some tarsal scent in it after I got done hunting it and the next morning that scrape was twice the size as the day before and and there were 4 other fresh scrapes within 50 yards. I think it kinda irratates the buck if you do that.
I have done the same thing with amazing results...
Old 10-08-2007, 08:37 PM

a buck will make alot of scrapes...sometimes making one and never returning to it....lots of times multiple bucks will use the same one....i useally will make 4-6 different mock scrapes around like 30 yards apart or just at random locations...if the spot doesnt look like a perfect replica or kinda in the right place a buck or doe will not use it..just remember if you make one it might be used once or twice and sometimes be maintain for along time

i would just use a stick...remember to throw it from where you used it not to leave your smells in the scrape