Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Getting smelled by deer >

Getting smelled by deer

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Getting smelled by deer

Old 01-29-2002, 08:51 AM

Default Getting smelled by deer

I have a question on what is the best way (besides scent lok clothing) to keep from getting winded in the woods. I hunt about 6 morn. and nights an week I have taken some nice deer. It seems like lately no matter how anal i am about my scent I still get winded from time to time in costly situations. I shower ever night before going to the bowstand, my clothes hang in the woods from july through dec. I play the wind whenever poss. What is the real deal? Carbon Blast, Scent Shield, Cover scent........HELP
Old 01-29-2002, 09:19 AM

Default RE: Getting smelled by deer

I think even though you maybe using the same methods of scent control,it is not what you are doing wrong.It is sometimes how much will the deer tolerate you.The later in the season it gets,the less likely you will get away with what you did in the beginning of the season.That is why the old saying the first time in your stand is usually the best time to shoot a buck.If a deer even gets a whiff of you because of a change in the wind direction or wind swirling in the later season they are gone.All you can do is practice good scent control,
keep the wind in your favor if possible,and pray you don't get caught.
Old 01-29-2002, 12:20 PM

beck,

It sounds like you are doing everything you can before you enter the woods to reduce your scent. Showering with an anti bacterial scent free soap, hanging your cloths outside, dressing outside I would assume? Like Buckhunter 3 stated, deer do become less tolerant. Are the deer winding you soley or do they hear and see you also when you enter your set-ups? Also, I talked to a guy not long ago that said he was having the same problem as you. He later told us he felt his leather boots where giving him away. I dont know what kind of boots you wear, but I prefer a tall rubber boot. Also, you might try a scent eliminating spray, especially on areas like the armpits, head, face, and crotch. I like to spray down with an eliminating spray right after I towel dry and before I put any clothing on. Then apply another dose right before I begin walking into a hunting area. Also make sure your equipment is as scent free as possible. Still, the wind in my opinion is the key. I wear a scent lok suit, gloves and head cover for added protection, but without the wind, I dont like hunting an area.

IHW,
Shed
Old 01-29-2002, 12:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Be sensitive to the wind in your stand.

I had a stand once which on the top of deep creek bank. The stand was a good 25 feet in the air. However whenever a deer came up the bank, the would scent me about 40-50 yards away, even when I was sure the wind was in my face. After three or four times of this, I concluded that it was not something that I could explain and moved my stand.
Old 01-29-2002, 12:46 PM

shed
I do dress outside, like I said I think I am almost anal about how careful I am about scent, what i eat, wear, wind, ect. I used to have great luck rattling now I am scared because I am afraid that a buck will circle downwind and get a wiff of me. I do get plenty of does, fawns, 1-2 year old bucks within range but its' been a couple years since I have shot a decent one. Maybe I am paranoid, but I think the big boys are getting smarter. I also think the whitetail is evolving into a smarter species, due to all human pressure.

I do wear leather boots, and have had many cross my path and not smell me, but I spose they could still carry scent, maybe it's tome to break down and buy some rubber boots.
Old 01-29-2002, 12:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

By all means wear RUBBER BOOTS.
Old 01-29-2002, 01:47 PM

beck,

I hear ya...I figured you were very careful with your scent. I too have noticed in my neck of the woods that bucks are much tougher to rattle these days than in the past. I think its because so many people are rattling these days in my area. Just like calling elk here where I hunt....so many people over call, all they are doing is educating the animals even more. I rarely rattle compared to how much I did in the early and mid 90's. Maybe those boots will help you out. I believe they have for me. I try and stand in a running creek before I go hunting or on my way to a stand. I have a creek right on my property so it makes it nice. I never ride in an automobile with my hunting cloths on.
Most of my hunting takes place near my house...in which I use my quad to get into my set-ups. I try to park at least a mile away and around the opposite side of a big ridge or valley so the quad sound doesnt alert the critters before I walk in. Deer and elk in my area know to well what a fourwheeler means. Maybe the boots and some eliminating spray will help ya out. But like anyone including yourself knows...the wind is the key...

Shed
Old 01-29-2002, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are hunting the same area its possible they have patterned you . also you are possible laying down a scent trail that might not bother a doe but the older bucks will get out of the area . I think I would try moving my set-up occasionaly .
Old 01-29-2002, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Halcon's right. A buck knows his tail is on the line during hunting season...and he's looking to pattern the hunters. Could that be it???

Old 01-30-2002, 06:19 AM

pro-line and halcon

I hunt fabulous parcels of private land, I know I am the only one hunting. In the best piece it is 200 acres i have great acsess to get to about 8 setups I constanly switch stands, I put up all stands in the spring so I don't have to nose around the property in september. I may not use all my stands, just depends. I also will set up on the ground from time to time. You could be right about being patterned but I try yo be careful about that.

Quick Reply: Getting smelled by deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.