HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Getting smelled by deer
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2002, 01:47 PM
shed1

Default RE: Getting smelled by deer

beck,

I hear ya...I figured you were very careful with your scent. I too have noticed in my neck of the woods that bucks are much tougher to rattle these days than in the past. I think its because so many people are rattling these days in my area. Just like calling elk here where I hunt....so many people over call, all they are doing is educating the animals even more. I rarely rattle compared to how much I did in the early and mid 90's. Maybe those boots will help you out. I believe they have for me. I try and stand in a running creek before I go hunting or on my way to a stand. I have a creek right on my property so it makes it nice. I never ride in an automobile with my hunting cloths on.
Most of my hunting takes place near my house...in which I use my quad to get into my set-ups. I try to park at least a mile away and around the opposite side of a big ridge or valley so the quad sound doesnt alert the critters before I walk in. Deer and elk in my area know to well what a fourwheeler means. Maybe the boots and some eliminating spray will help ya out. But like anyone including yourself knows...the wind is the key...

Shed