Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
The dreaded walk thru >

The dreaded walk thru

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The dreaded walk thru

Old 02-11-2012, 07:16 AM
Spike

Default The dreaded walk thru

I am curious how often you have had people interrupt your hunt by walking under your stand. Happens more on public lands than private, but stinks either way. Cost me a few opportunities over the years.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:30 AM
Typical Buck

Has happened a lot to me over the years. Usually they will not even look up at you if they know you are there. Guess they don't want to see the angry stare back.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:24 AM
Spike

What about the flip side: Have YOU ever walked past another hunter's stand?
Old 02-11-2012, 08:54 AM
dpv
Typical Buck

I've had it happen many times, I usually will make some kind of noise and wave my hat. During general firearms season I've had folks walk right under me before it was even legal light, and stop right there......I have also done it to other people and when I realize they are there, I turn around and go somewhere else. Only time I have ever kept going was when I started to turn and realized that I had already walked past a guys hunting partner who was behind me. I sat there looking at both of them shrugged my shoulders and walked about another half mile before setting up my stand.....Killed a nice 3 pointer (my first antlered Buck) that day.
Many years ago I was VERY high in a poplar tree overlooking a main trail (wide enough to drive a truck down). I set up there because it was a doe day and I figured folks would be running dogs and it was a good escape route for the deer. There was a group of hunters walking along, dropping off a team member every couple hundred at and they had one stop right beneath me on the trail. I never said a word or made a noise until I opened up with my 30-06 and killed a deer that the dogs had pushed our way. By the time I got down from the tree, he had packed up his stuff and left...Guess it tightened his corn hole just a bit. Public land is public land. I try to be respectful of other folks and give them as wide a birth as possible. Sometimes you just have to change your plans.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:49 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Brazilnut
What about the flip side: Have YOU ever walked past another hunter's stand?
This has happened too and is just as frustrating. Not my fault, not theirs...just unfortunate. Check out Outdoor Tracker Systems. The software, displays and tree markers are supposed to help.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:16 PM
Typical Buck

I have had many pheasant hunter ruin my deer hunts on private land, but they have also helped me i guess. I still think the best day to bow hunt in south dakota is the opening day of pheasant season if you know the escape routes.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well I watched "Dominant Bucks" with Stan Potts last night (Sunday) and he talked about just this same thing. Deer on public land are used to having hunters walk by. So they watch and then go about their business after they leave. "Creepers" as Stan called them are just part of hunting public land. Concentrate on what you are doing and don't let it bother you. I have to agree with him on this. Case in point - Just this past season - Nov 8 to be exact - I was hunting on the ground when a man with his 2 sons came walking up past me. One of the boys was carrying a saw and the 3 of them were just walking and talking. I got their attention and told them I was archery hunting. The man apologized and left the area. Even though I could hear them about 200 yds away doing whatever they were doing I stayed quiet and still on the ground (I was checking out a new spot with a lot of scrapes and rubs). About 15 mins after they left me, a nice 8 point came down the trail and I politely put a 100 gr Magnus Stinger into his boiler room. I believe that buck heard those people and heard them leave and thought all was safe.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:46 AM
Typical Buck

ive had it happen and have done it too, i dont look at it as such a bad thing though, someone walking thru prob have about as much chance as helping you as they do hurting you so its just part of hunting
Old 02-13-2012, 09:58 AM
Typical Buck

i usually set up in fairly remote spots,
but do see people set up fairly close to common walking trails,
if i am walking i generally glass ahead looking for people on the ground, in blinds, and in stands,
generally walk to next point, glass ahead again,
if i come across someone, if i have a secondary spot in mind may turn around, if i am on common trail, i continue walking keeping eye on the hunter trying to make sure he see's me, i keep walking steadily and quietly.
if someone gets upset that i am walking past there spot,
they shouldnt set up over a walking trail.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:00 AM
Fork Horn

Happens, irritates me when they come up to the bottom of my tree and start a conversation instead of walking around.

I used it to my advantage one time, the guy was asking which direction to walk, I pointed him towards a bedding area, he pushed out a couple of does towards me.

Have learned to set up as far away from trails as possible to avoid this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.