Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 6th Annual, Recovery, What to do after the shot. >

6th Annual, Recovery, What to do after the shot.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

6th Annual, Recovery, What to do after the shot.

Old 11-12-2003, 09:59 AM

Default RE: Recovery, What to do after the shot.

Hi, I have just became a member...been reading as a guest for a long time.

I just shot the biggest deer with my bow probably a 8 point. But I hit him to high. Below the spine and I believe I didn' t get any lungs.
When I shot him I was in a ground blind and the arrow passed through him....I was surprised the buck didn' t acted like he was even hit. He walk to me and I seen the interance hole and then he turned and I seen the exit hole.At first I thought that shot would kill him because he stumbled a couble of times and when he was out of site I found good blood on the ground and on a couple of trees.Me and my dad tracked about 50 yards and the blood ran out. The deer ran toward a corn field for cover. We didn' t find him...but went back the next day about 24 hours later, it rained that night was why we didn' t get a earlier start. My dad who is not a bow hunter walked within 40 feet of him in the corn. The buck was standing and stretching it' s hind legs one at a time high in the air. My dad sad he never seen a deer do that before and me either. My dad said the buck seen him finally and trotted off slowly out of the corn and into a guy' s back yard. Problem is that guy will not let any on his land as he own' s about 70 acres.
Now after living for 24 hours will the deer recover or will it die from gang green. This is why I didn' t get a lung because the deer would have bleed out by that time.This makes sick because a couple inches lower and I would have a TROPHY BUCK.
Old 11-12-2003, 10:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ubub let me welcome you to the board first, second if you look at the anatomy of a deer I am sure you will concur that you didn' t slide one under the spine, but over it, as long as that deer doesn' t get an infection he will probably recover.

Old 11-12-2003, 09:51 PM

Not sure if this was mentioned, but a blue light will help pick up the blood trail as well. You' ll notice allot of the new head lamps have this option. As mentioned throughout this post, peroxide is a great tool to have. Recently used it to help a buddy track a deer during a light rain and had no problems picking up the fizz once sprayed on blood.

Learned allot on this post thanks for the great input!

MD Piney
Old 11-16-2003, 06:26 PM

If a bowhunter would happen to shoot a record class animal and want to have it recorded in the P & Y record book, if they would continue to hunt after shooting said animal, it would not be eligible for entry.
Old 11-18-2003, 02:54 PM

Nice post. This year, I' ve taken to putting the movie camera on, so I can see the shot in review. Once so far, the shot was out of view, so it' s not 100% reliable unless you have a cameraman with you, but it' s cool to watch your shot and see if it looks on film like you remember it. Besides, it takes some time, and makes you .....wait.

To reiterate, or be redundant, again, in other words.....the best thing to do is be patient. Besides, the excitement ends and the work begins when you find the deer. Enjoy the hunt for a while longer. Savor it. Tell the story to yourself a few dozen times and make it sound even better (fishermen do that, right?)
Old 09-03-2004, 07:48 AM

As the season approches I felt this thread needed a bump. I think everyone should read this wether you're old or new to the sport. I'm 100% sure I couldn't have said it any better myself.

Thanks for the great post Rob! Maybe we could tac this to the top for a couple of weeks.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

WOW, I was going to repost this, this season but adams dug it out from the past....yes a must read for everyone, each reply/post further gives you opportunity to recover a possilbe otherwise unrecovered animal.

Let's keep this one up front for a newbies.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:51 AM

Sorry Rob. I didn't mean to beat you to it. When the board get slow I like to play historian. This definately is a great post and if you just read back through it I'm sure you're impressed with youself. It's great advise and very well spoken.

Thanks
Old 09-04-2004, 07:37 PM

dont think this story really gives any tips or advice but I thought it was kinda strange. last year during gun season I was walking along the outside of a corn field looking in the rows as I went. In one row I saw a deer nose sticking out so I slowly went to the next and saw the body quartering away. When I shot I think I just didnt think about the angle and in my rush I put the site on his shoulder and shot. At the shot he bucked and busted through the corn. I went to where he stood and found a piece of bone and some pink fleshy looking stuff that I assumed was lung and a rib. After that spot I couldnt find anything at all, no blood,tracks,broken corn,NOTHIN. I went back home to get my neighborto give me a hand the the farmer had just combined the area that my deer was shot!! The next day I went back(w/ no gun?) out to re-walk the area and the tree line along the field. There is one spot along the edge that is about 40yds acrossed and full of briars. I busted though the thicket just hoping to find something when I looked up and saw a "dead" deer laying on its side with its head down. As I walked up to it it raised its head and looked at me. I backed out and and circled around it in a creek that ran within a few feet of the deer. I popped over the bank and was eye to eye with this young deer. It tried to stand once then layed back down. After that I ran back to my house and got my 870 to finish the deer. The first shot ended up just blowing his shoulder all the hell but not entering the body cavity do to the severe angle.

The point of this story was this non-mortaly wounded animal ONLY ran about 60yds after the shot and bedded for over 24hrs without moving.. I thought that was kinda strange.
Old 09-06-2004, 09:55 AM

This has got to be one of the most informative threads I've ever read on the net.
Thanks to everyone that contributed, esp. you Rob for so much input and starting it off.

Hydrogen Peroxide Wow, I NEVER even had that cross my mind.[&:]

BLACKTALON

Quick Reply: 6th Annual, Recovery, What to do after the shot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.