HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 6th Annual, Recovery, What to do after the shot.
Old 09-04-2004, 07:37 PM
3ptbuck

Default RE: Recovery, What to do after the shot.

dont think this story really gives any tips or advice but I thought it was kinda strange. last year during gun season I was walking along the outside of a corn field looking in the rows as I went. In one row I saw a deer nose sticking out so I slowly went to the next and saw the body quartering away. When I shot I think I just didnt think about the angle and in my rush I put the site on his shoulder and shot. At the shot he bucked and busted through the corn. I went to where he stood and found a piece of bone and some pink fleshy looking stuff that I assumed was lung and a rib. After that spot I couldnt find anything at all, no blood,tracks,broken corn,NOTHIN. I went back home to get my neighborto give me a hand the the farmer had just combined the area that my deer was shot!! The next day I went back(w/ no gun?) out to re-walk the area and the tree line along the field. There is one spot along the edge that is about 40yds acrossed and full of briars. I busted though the thicket just hoping to find something when I looked up and saw a "dead" deer laying on its side with its head down. As I walked up to it it raised its head and looked at me. I backed out and and circled around it in a creek that ran within a few feet of the deer. I popped over the bank and was eye to eye with this young deer. It tried to stand once then layed back down. After that I ran back to my house and got my 870 to finish the deer. The first shot ended up just blowing his shoulder all the hell but not entering the body cavity do to the severe angle.

The point of this story was this non-mortaly wounded animal ONLY ran about 60yds after the shot and bedded for over 24hrs without moving.. I thought that was kinda strange.