Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 BIG BUCKS!!  Milk River or where??? >

BIG BUCKS!! Milk River or where???

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

BIG BUCKS!! Milk River or where???

Old 08-19-2003, 10:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default BIG BUCKS!! Milk River or where???

I hunt in Minnestoa and we have quite a few big bucks. But, I would like to plan a hunt out of the state for trophies this year or next. No guides or pay hunts or fences. Just good quality areas or counties. Where would you go? I here the Milk River in Montanna is a hotspot. Buffalo county Wisconsin is a hotspot. I' ll worry about getting permission when I decide. Where would you think the best spot in the country is.

Good Luck!!

Thanks!!
Old 08-19-2003, 10:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: BIG BUCKS!! Milk River or where???

Lots of good spots for jumbo bucks. Just about any midwest state. Don`t overlook Kentucky! That state is pumping out book deer.

Finding a place to hunt for nothing can be a challenge though. If you find a spot like that, shot me an e-mail. We don`t want everyone to know!
Old 08-20-2003, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

hows about BIGGAR SASKATCHEWAN
Old 08-20-2003, 10:46 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

May look into southeast NE. Would be the blue unit on the rifle apps. There is a lot of public hunting areas around there and the deer are huge. It is an ignored hotspot IMO.
Old 08-20-2003, 01:15 PM
Dominant Buck

As many have said, lots of states hold big bucks in big numbers. I personnally wouldn' t go near the Milk River if I was paying for it. From everything I' ve seen in videos it' s not my kind of hunting. I don' t like open plains hunting. I' m really a woods dweller. IF planning a trip I' d try and pick some place with big woods or at least some nice sized wood patches. I just don' t get that much from seeing 50 deer in a field when they' re all 300 yards away. I think I' d look into Missour, Illinois, maybe Kansas, Kentucky, Ohio, a couple of the Canadian Provinces.... states like that.
Old 08-20-2003, 01:43 PM
Fork Horn

Wayne national forest in Southern Ohio, lots of woods, all public and alot of really large deer
Old 08-20-2003, 05:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

davidmil and voodoo are on something. I will third Ohio!!! Wayne national forest is huge and with many a large deer. I wouldn' t want to hunt hte praires or open fields either. I like " big woods" with some agriculture and that spells midwest to me.
Old 08-20-2003, 09:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have any of you hunted the Milk River MT, or Buffalo County Wisconsin? Any comments?

thanks!
Old 08-20-2003, 10:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have hunted the milk river, but have yet to hunt Buffalo Co. Sure would like to sometime though.

As far as the milk river area goes, it is a different kind of hunting. As Davidmil said, it can be frustrating seeing deer that are never gonna get to you. The reason I prefer the midwest area is that while you can drill a really good buck in the milk river area, chances of a real top end buck(180+)are way higher in the midwest.