Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Milk River help needed.. >

Milk River help needed..

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Milk River help needed..

Old 03-05-2006, 07:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default Milk River help needed..

A couple buddies and I have applied for Montana NR tags, so hopefully we get drawn. But I have a few questions for those that know....

We will most likely be going opening weekend(Sept 2nd, all private ground). Overall, what should I expect? Classical morning and evening movement with close to no mid-day stuff going on? Pure bed to food/water travel routes? Obviously leave the rattlin antlers at home, but Iwould assume doe pee(non estrus stuff) and some very low key grunting would be ok? Anything else you have to add...feel free to toss it out there!

Xtec
Old 03-06-2006, 12:22 PM

Default RE: Milk River help needed..

I have seen some of the monsters that have come out of there.If it were me going out there(if there is a god,someday i will) i don't think i would worry to much about scent and calling that early.I would put my butt in that stand as many hours as i could.That's my strategy.Good Luck!!!!
Old 03-06-2006, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would never leave the rattling antlers at home......I've seen multiple instances in the milk river area (on video) where guys needed their antlers to call in big whitetails that had been sparring in the field....i'd take 'em...better safe than sorry.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've bowhunted the past two archery seasons pretty close to the milk.
I went opening week last year and temps were up to 110f during the day and at night they would fall in the low 30's. Fire band was on so campfires weren't allowed. Saw herds of elk each day and I plan on being back there this year but I'm not going to go as early due to the heat. I'm going to wait around the 18th and hunt the rut and it'll be a little cooler than.
You guessed the game activity right, first couple hours in the morning and last couple hours of the day is when it was most active. I used the afternoons scouting and fishing and trying to stay out of the sun. If you have a tent it could be as hot as an oven so find some shade, and thats not always easy to do. Good luck.

Bobby
Old 03-06-2006, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

cheque this out

Old 03-06-2006, 02:06 PM

WWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW GREAT PICTURE
Old 03-06-2006, 04:05 PM

I hunted the Yellowstone.I lived near Miles City for two years. Sept. opener is tough because if your hunting by any water, mosquitoes they were horrible.They actually chased me outta my stand.If you can get a killing frost,its a lot better. Typycally the frost is a little later maybe the end of September.
But yeah its best at dusk and Dawn, they tear up the alfalfa and any corn fields. Try to find places away from water to beat the bugs. However the best fields will be by the river or irrigations ditches. Take lots of spray and netting. Lots of deer there. Also they sell over the counter tags for a whitetail doe to Nonresidents. Good luck!!
Old 03-06-2006, 07:22 PM
Typical Buck

WOW! I really thought I'd get more guys to reply to this one. Guess not many have hunted the area.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:23 PM
neb
Typical Buck

I don't live to far from there but I have never hunted it but have seen some nice bucks from that area. The days can be hot but just depends on the year. There is alot of farming in that area and is a hugh area but the deer are really all over that country. The nites will get cold and You will experience wind in that open country. Take all your tools for hunting and blinds would work good if you have the time to pattern them in the area you are hunting. Bugs can be a problem and be prepared for the worst and hope for the best with the weather. Being on private land some one will get you in the right direction which will help. The country is big and without some direction it could be tough. Good luck hunting.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Xtec Shooter

WOW! I really thought I'd get more guys to reply to this one. Guess not many have hunted the area.
Your welcome.

Quick Reply: Milk River help needed..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.