Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
has this happened to you? arrow deflecting off deer... >

has this happened to you? arrow deflecting off deer...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

has this happened to you? arrow deflecting off deer...

Old 11-10-2011, 08:22 AM
  #11  
Dominant Buck
 
GMMAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location:
Posts: 21,043
Default

This doe was shot at 5yds with a rage head.

Is this where you aimed?

The exit wound was under her off-side leg.


Last edited by GMMAT; 11-10-2011 at 08:26 AM.
GMMAT is offline  
Old 11-10-2011, 08:51 AM
  #12  
Nontypical Buck
 
Bible_Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Southern TN
Posts: 1,018
Default

That arrow could not have glanced off if you hit where you wanted to, even at that steep angle. It just ain't gonna happen. You said yourself that you were excited...must have missed your spot, even if just by a little. Just skimmed it, and maybe got just a bit of a muscle in the leg or something...hits like that can be watery for sure. Good luck on your continued adventures!
Bible_Man is offline  
Old 11-11-2011, 10:10 AM
  #13  
Dominant Buck
 
burniegoeasily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: land of the Lilliputians, In the state of insanity
Posts: 26,274
Default

That is one of the reasons I will not let people use mechanicals on my land. Your arrow deflected and all you did was cut into the skin (which is why you saw the clear fluid on your arrow). Ive seen it twice with quartering away shots and mechanicals. Shots that would have been dead deer with a fixed head.
burniegoeasily is offline  
Old 11-11-2011, 10:16 AM
  #14  
Fork Horn
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 320
Default

Originally Posted by huntingkidPA
ive heard of this happening also. today i shot at a 6 point almost completely broadside. i didnt compensate for the loss of gravity due to shooting elevated, simply because there was no difference when i practiced at my house.
? There is less gravity at your stand? I know what you're trying to say, and it's a myth. The difference in range/gravity/etc from an elevated stand vs. a ground blind is minimal. Most people hit high when shooting from an elevated stand simply because they break their form...they drop their arm and that throws off your point of aim. Bend at the waist and you'll hit exactly where you're aiming, despite your elevation (assuming you're not shooting some extreme angle due to range or extreme height...like 40 feet up).

As to the original poster...being able to shoot well is one thing, knowing where to aim is another. As others have pointed out, aim for where you want the arrow to exit (behind the opposite leg is a good place) and extend that path through the vitals. That will tell you whether or not you can take a shot that both hits the vitals and passes through the deer.
UPHunter08 is offline  
Old 11-11-2011, 10:20 AM
  #15  
Fork Horn
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 320
Default

Originally Posted by burniegoeasily
That is one of the reasons I will not let people use mechanicals on my land. Your arrow deflected and all you did was cut into the skin (which is why you saw the clear fluid on your arrow). Ive seen it twice with quartering away shots and mechanicals. Shots that would have been dead deer with a fixed head.
When I first started, I took a similar shot to the OP, and it glanced off the shoulder blade. With a fixed BH/! If the shot is well placed to avoid the shoulder blade, major bones, etc, it will penetrate, fixed head or mechanical. On a reasonably fast bow, a Rage head will go through a deer like a knife through hot butter. It's all about shot placement. I'd pass on a high-angle shot now, given my experience (and that of others)...with any BH.
UPHunter08 is offline  
Old 11-11-2011, 01:10 PM
  #16  
Fork Horn
 
*twodogs*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 411
Default

I can't see a BH glancing off a deer unless it is a very steep angle and you catch the shoulder or the arrow is tipped with a stone. I have heard this before and it always turns out that what the shooter saw as far as POI is not truly what happened.
*twodogs* is offline  
Old 11-12-2011, 05:49 PM
  #17  
Boone & Crockett
 
bronko22000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 12,731
Default

On a very steep angle if the BH catches the shoulder blade it may follow it and never penetrate the body cavity. Early in my archery hunting I did exactly that on a deer that was too close and walking away. Being young and foolish, I thought I could put an arrow between the shoulders, breaking the spine and not have a tracking job. I was a bit left and the BH (a 3 blade Snuffer) hit the top of the left shoulder blade and slid right down the outside of it.
bronko22000 is offline  
Old 11-12-2011, 06:35 PM
  #18  
Spike
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bradley IL
Posts: 93
Default

Originally Posted by UPHunter08
? There is less gravity at your stand? I know what you're trying to say, and it's a myth. The difference in range/gravity/etc from an elevated stand vs. a ground blind is minimal. Most people hit high when shooting from an elevated stand simply because they break their form...they drop their arm and that throws off your point of aim. Bend at the waist and you'll hit exactly where you're aiming, despite your elevation (assuming you're not shooting some extreme angle due to range or extreme height...like 40 feet up).

As to the original poster...being able to shoot well is one thing, knowing where to aim is another. As others have pointed out, aim for where you want the arrow to exit (behind the opposite leg is a good place) and extend that path through the vitals. That will tell you whether or not you can take a shot that both hits the vitals and passes through the deer.
thank you for this piece of advice, after killing my first deer with my bow it all comes together as far as aiming for the exit. i appreciate everyones insight.
critterkiller88 is offline  
Old 11-14-2011, 02:53 AM
  #19  
Typical Buck
 
fshafly2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Nanjemoy, MD
Posts: 998
Default

Excellent posts UpHunter08! X2.

-fsh
fshafly2 is offline  
Old 11-14-2011, 10:43 AM
  #20  
Dominant Buck
 
burniegoeasily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: land of the Lilliputians, In the state of insanity
Posts: 26,274
Default

Originally Posted by UPHunter08
When I first started, I took a similar shot to the OP, and it glanced off the shoulder blade. With a fixed BH/! If the shot is well placed to avoid the shoulder blade, major bones, etc, it will penetrate, fixed head or mechanical. On a reasonably fast bow, a Rage head will go through a deer like a knife through hot butter. It's all about shot placement. I'd pass on a high-angle shot now, given my experience (and that of others)...with any BH.

Get the right kind of head. Cut on contact fixed head. Ive tested many mechanicals for different shops, they work, but have flaws. Fixed heads have issues, but nothing compared to mechanicals. Out of all the heads, a fixed, cut on contact will out do all other heads.
burniegoeasily is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.