HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - has this happened to you? arrow deflecting off deer...
Old 11-12-2011, 05:35 PM
critterkiller88
Spike

Originally Posted by UPHunter08
? There is less gravity at your stand? I know what you're trying to say, and it's a myth. The difference in range/gravity/etc from an elevated stand vs. a ground blind is minimal. Most people hit high when shooting from an elevated stand simply because they break their form...they drop their arm and that throws off your point of aim. Bend at the waist and you'll hit exactly where you're aiming, despite your elevation (assuming you're not shooting some extreme angle due to range or extreme height...like 40 feet up).

As to the original poster...being able to shoot well is one thing, knowing where to aim is another. As others have pointed out, aim for where you want the arrow to exit (behind the opposite leg is a good place) and extend that path through the vitals. That will tell you whether or not you can take a shot that both hits the vitals and passes through the deer.
thank you for this piece of advice, after killing my first deer with my bow it all comes together as far as aiming for the exit. i appreciate everyones insight.