Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Trail cameras

Old 11-04-2011, 01:45 PM
Spike

Default Trail cameras

I am wondering what kind of trail cameras you use. how well do you like them. are you happy with the pictures. what are the pros and cons of the camera that you use.

I started using trail cameras for the first time time year. I bought 2 wild game innovation cameras. they take good daytime pictures. The night pictures on one are ok but a little blurry. The night pictures on the other is terrible. Can't see anything but a white blurr.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:05 PM
Spike

I've got an old Cuddeback with a regular flash. To be honest I'm not too sure much about the specs of it because it's pretty old. I got it from my brother for really cheap cause he just bought two new Cuddebacks. They don't break the budget and they take pretty good pictures.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:52 PM
Spike

I bought two Moultrie M-80's this year and love them! I always get deer when they are walking on the trails and never have blank shots. Plus, they are about the size of your hand. Not bad for $120 a piece. One camera has been out for about a month and has taken about 2500 pictures and still has 27% battery.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:40 AM
Fork Horn

I have an older moultre and a wildgame innovations ir that I just got. They both take good daytime pictures but the battery life on the moultre is not so good. The battery life on the wildgame is pretty good. The only thing I dont like about the wildgame is that it only takes one picture at a time. I just cant see spending more than 100 bucks on a trail cam I am setting out on state land. I had a wildview cheapo regular flash model stolen last year and I was only out 50 bucks but still was upset. So far I have not had any major issues with any of the trail cams I have owned.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the Primos Truth Cam 35. I can't complain. It is quite usable and the battery life is good. Pictures are great at day and good at night. I guess I can't ask for much more.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

How many times can you spend a hundred bucks on a cam? I did 3 times returning each (different ones) for various reasons, the fourth time I bought a reconyx for 395 tyd. 10,000 +/- pics and still 99% battery. Kind of like I saved up for it.

Buy them from a place that allows returns and keep checking them out. If you can't find out how they work in the store, it's your only option. In the end you'll have saved up the money if you start at the low end and work your way up.

The reconyx miss's nothing, the other 3 missed a lot. Shot a big buck earlier next to it. Had to drag it out past it. That night 2 other bucks came by and were they ever curious. Camera takes pics at video speed and the vidoe of those 2 was very educational. Does and fawns came through later and did the same. I'm positive those other cams would not have given me that education. 1000 pics and squat in battery life. There is nothing I'd want in another cam this one doesn't do already.

The only way I'd leave a cam on public ground is over night and I was returning in the morning. There is no other good option and I don't believe in leaving my crap behind like I owned the place, unless it's a gut pile. I'd leave my reconyx over night, but I'd be back real early.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I recently looked into them some but after reading reviews for many and all having very mixed reviews decided against buying any of them.