Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
dissappointing day >

dissappointing day

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

dissappointing day

Old 11-01-2011, 10:23 PM
Typical Buck

Default dissappointing day

well i was in the stand the other morning and got a good shot on a buck. 15 yards broadside. everything felt good, I was steady on the shot, I seen my arrow hit where I was aiming and saw the wound as the deer left. I was texting a buddy at the time and he came out to help me find the deer which was good it forced me to leave the area and let him die. I swear I heard this deer crash. Buddy shows up, and I direct him to where i hit him. no arrow or blood. I directed to where he went and he found sign. we started tracking him with very little blood into the thickest stuff I have ever been in. When we had blood it was good though but you could tell it was only on the hit side. I shoot 100 grain 3 blade spitfires. well we lost blood, lost the deer and I have been in this thicket for 3 days trying to find him. Now, i just need to know what happened. we never found my arrow. I was in there this morning with 3 people trying our best to do a grid search and nothing. when we got out my son, who loves this stand has doubts about hunting it anymore just because it is so thick.

I have hunted long enough to know these things happen but man it sucks when it does. I figure i will find him one of these days as I will take a different path looking for him.

this was more of a vent for me but I would like to know if anyone has had problems with spitfires before not opening. The whole thing just didn't make any sence to me.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

A tough way to end what I'm sure seemed to be a good hunt that should have ended with a good harvest. I use mechanical broadheads and so far have not had this happen,but I'm sure it will one day because the odds favor it being so. The endless amount of things that can and do go wrong on hunts make it a chellenging effort on the best of days. Even if the blades did not imploy you would think a good shot would still be fatal. It happens to the best of hunters who try to use the best equipment on the market and maintain it flawlessly. Get back out there and get yourself another chance to harvest your Deer and good luck and the odds be in your favor on the next one.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:14 AM
Fork Horn

How long did you wait before heading to the POI? I waited 2 hours one year because I hit a big one. I just wanted to retrieve the arrow and mark he POI, unfortunately the deer was bedded within 60 yards of the POI and I pushed him when I went to retrieve the arrow.

If I don't see with my own eyes the deer go down, I always back out and give it 4 hours or more if I know the shot wasn't ideal.

It sucks, I hope you find him.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Try fixed heads. I can only assume that with a good broadside shot, at that distance, there is no reason for the arrow to not pass through. I can only assume you got crap penetration. I have seen it many times with others using mechanicals. Back in my compound days, I used mechanicals to see what the buzz was about. I was not impressed. I got crap penetraion on many occasions. I tried spitfires, as well as many others. I tested them on hogs. People would send me the latest mechanical for me to test, I would go out hunt hogs and send them the results. I just dont see the reason behind mechanicals when fixed heads have been tried and tested through out time. Why fix what is not broken.

I know many outfitters who will not let hunters use mechanicals. I wont let people use mechanicals on my land either. I get sick of having wonded deer go off and die without being recovered.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:17 AM
Typical Buck

All in all i waited a good hour, i had to wait for my buddy to show up, walk out meet him and then walk back in. I seen the hit, broadside and tucked right behind his shoulder. my arrow didn't go all the way through but I can tell you i didn't see any part of the arrow as he left where i shot him. Telling me it was all the way through just didn't pass through. I still haven't found him and everyday i am out i take a different route looking for him when i am done hunting.

I am going back to magnus 100 gr. I have had good luck with those and i like the way they shoot.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:54 AM
Spike

Look and listen for turkey buzzards and crows.They will give away the carcass!
It sucks,it happened to me with a ''nice'' buck a few yrs back.
When I hit him it sounded like a car tire blew!''Pow! I didn't wait long enough!Pushed and never found the best buck of my life.
Now I only use FIXED BLADE broad heads!
Thanks for the reminder...now I'm depressed.....''sigh''
Old 11-04-2011, 11:57 AM
Fork Horn

Sorry you didn't find your buck. That is exactly why I won't use mechanicals. Sometimes sheet happens but I hope you find him anyway.