Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
deer shot-Question >

deer shot-Question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

deer shot-Question

Old 11-03-2011, 07:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default deer shot-Question

So my dad just called me at 9 this morning and told me he hit a monster. he told me that it was out about 35 yds and he had a slight quartering away shot it was going into the thicket. he et the arrow fly and he hit it the deer ran about 10 yds then started walking and walked out of sight but he saw the arrow sticking out of it he couldnt see how far it went in or blood it was to thick it walked down the hill through the thicket. but he said it looked like it was in there solid he just packed up and left without walkin to anywhere but home hes going to investagate around 3 this afternoon. what r ur thought on finding that deer. i know some deer dont even know it was shot. he told me that it was chasing does earlier and he grunted and it came over so i was thinking the adrenaline kept it from really knowing it was shot. if he shot it in the front shoulder wouldnt it have ran i dont know just curious on your thoughts... my dad has worked so hard for a big buck this year he really deserves it i dont know what to tell him i cant get to him until tomorrow afternoon
Old 11-03-2011, 01:34 PM
Spike

from my experience when they walk away like that its usually not good. a gut shot deer will do this everytime but will die. if its a gut shot it will be really hard to find because it will not leave much blood. good luck and post pic if you find him.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

As with most of these posts without the arrow or any info on blood sign it's too hard to speculate. Things happen so fast after the shot that most people can't tell exactly where the deer was hit!
Old 11-03-2011, 02:34 PM
Fork Horn

wells heres the verdict so far... he went back 6 hours later and began looking he found blood right away and after about 10 yds of tracking he found the aroow he said it was covered in blood and meat and the arrow was cover about 6 or 7 inches then about 15 yds later he found a ton of hair... then the kept tracking for about another 2o yds till the creek then they lost the blood they plit up and my father went left his friend went right my dad found blood again and followed it for about 30 yds and lost it again the other guy didnt find anything but jumped in his truck and headed down to pick my dad up at the other end he got there parked the truck and got out to take a piss he found blood at the edge of the road he walked up and down the road looking for where it crossed the road at after about 20 mins he went back and got my dad they went back and found blood again the buck didnt cross the road but it walked the edge for a little in a ditch they found a huge pile of blood and it all looked fresh different from the beginning of the tracking job so the pulled out and are heading back in the morning he told me the left on good blood. i heading out tonight now to help him in the morning looks like sleepless night i cant wait to see the arrow to give me some insight
Old 11-03-2011, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a buck run for about 15 yards and walk for another 20 yards from a Lung shot. But it sounds liek you guys are having alot more problems, Maybe hit the liver? Back out and let it lay for the night!
Old 11-04-2011, 12:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds to me like they kicked that buck up, the huge pile of blood is where he bedded down. What color was the blood on the arrow? I hope you guys find him...
Old 11-04-2011, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sutton
wells heres the verdict so far... he went back 6 hours later and began looking he found blood right away and after about 10 yds of tracking he found the aroow he said it was covered in blood and meat and the arrow was cover about 6 or 7 inches then about 15 yds later he found a ton of hair... then the kept tracking for about another 2o yds till the creek then they lost the blood they plit up and my father went left his friend went right my dad found blood again and followed it for about 30 yds and lost it again the other guy didnt find anything but jumped in his truck and headed down to pick my dad up at the other end he got there parked the truck and got out to take a piss he found blood at the edge of the road he walked up and down the road looking for where it crossed the road at after about 20 mins he went back and got my dad they went back and found blood again the buck didnt cross the road but it walked the edge for a little in a ditch they found a huge pile of blood and it all looked fresh different from the beginning of the tracking job so the pulled out and are heading back in the morning he told me the left on good blood.
That's the longest sentence I have ever read.

As per your situation, sounds like a less than ideal shot. Let that deer lay for a while and you may find him. Sounds like he got pushed, no doubt. Good luck!
Old 11-04-2011, 11:48 AM
Fork Horn

Every time I have gut shot a deer, they hunched up at the shot and ran for a short distance then walked off...almost like they were tip toeing away. Like others have said, let him sit and try him again in the morning. If you keep kicking him up, you may never find him.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:16 PM
Fork Horn

i shot mine in front of the shoulder he took off running for about 20yards laid down for a while the got up and walked off. i gave the deer 13hrs went in the next morning couldn't find any blood so i started walking the deer trail went 80 yards bumped him. i just turned around and left let him lay for another night went back that next morning found him about 300 yards in a bunch of evergreens dead.

sounds like you need to just back out and give him some time like everybody else has said.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds to me like either a gut or liver shot. My wife shot one yesterday and it walked off. It was a liver/ gut shot. We backed out for 4 hours and found him laying dead about a 1/4 mile away. Give him time and you should find him.