Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Mojo Saves Me - Again >

Mojo Saves Me - Again

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mojo Saves Me - Again

Old 10-24-2011, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Mojo Saves Me - Again

Made a poor shot placement on fat doe Saturday evening about 4:45 p.m. At about 38 yards out of a tree stand (20' up). Felt good about the shot, but didn't take long to know .... not good !!! Doe eased off hunched and layed down about 40' from where I shot her. I watched here as she stayed down about an hour, then she left when the other does she came in left the area. Wobbly, but keeping up. Waited another 2 hours. Got my tracking weenie dog. Tracked her about half mile. Blood where she laid down very dark. Figured (and was proven correct, liver shot). Blood hitting the ground pretty good for about 400 yards then more or less petered out as far as I could tell. Mojo stayed on her. I spotted some few more small spots of blood along the way. Mojo lost the trail in a stand of large pines around 10:00 p.m. Marked the spot on the GPS.

Started back Sunday morning where we left off. Mojo picked up here blood trail again about 20 yards from where we had stopped. Trail still weak. He found her about 150 yards from where we stopped Saturday night. Dead. Hit her angle down through the liver. Caught no lungs. Could not have been dead long. Was about 42F Saturday night and she was still warm to the touch. Kudos to the pooch !! Boos to the shooter !!
Old 10-24-2011, 01:44 PM
Fork Horn

Blood tracking dogs are awesome!!! hate to have to use them, but we dont always make the best shots. They save alot of deer meat each year!! Hope you gave mojo sum!!
Old 10-24-2011, 01:47 PM
Fork Horn

Were u located I always could use a lil extra mojo
Old 10-24-2011, 03:51 PM
Typical Buck

thats so weird cause last year i made a bad shot on a buck, in the liver. it went 30 yards and toppled over. glad you found her
Old 10-24-2011, 03:52 PM
Typical Buck

thats so weird cause last year i made a bad shot on a buck. hit it in the liver with a small fixed blade. it only went 30 yards and toppled over. glad you found her
Old 10-24-2011, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

HuntingkidPA ... I am pretty sure the blade missed the main artery that brings the blood into the liver for clean up. If it had, I suspect she would never have gotten up after laying for an hour. I just glad Mojo was able to find her.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:40 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats and awesome. We have two beagles. It's illegal to use dogs here to track dead deer but I take these knuckleheads for a walk on their dual harness and they start tripping over one another and baying anytime they go over a deer trail. If I ever truly needed them, I might have to take them for a walk in one of my hunting areas.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:05 AM
Fork Horn

thats awesome. Way to go mojo! (He definitely deserves some i'd say haha) congrats on your deer!