Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Strugling With What To Do >

Strugling With What To Do

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Strugling With What To Do

Old 10-25-2011, 05:53 PM
Fork Horn

If they are friendly and approachable, crate them up and take them in town.
That is if you're not comfortable shooting a dog.

We've had to eliminate problem dogs in the past, Clark Co. In, we've also relocated a few.

I was once about 3 seconds from putting down a charging St. Bernard, had already unloaded and stored my shells in my fanny pouch.

Had the dog showed 3 seconds sooner...

As it turned out he barrel rolled at my feet begging for a belly rub, gave him to a friend and his family enjoyed a great dog for several years.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by onion721
If they are friendly and approachable, crate them up and take them in town.
That is if you're not comfortable shooting a dog.

We've had to eliminate problem dogs in the past, Clark Co. In, we've also relocated a few.

I was once about 3 seconds from putting down a charging St. Bernard, had already unloaded and stored my shells in my fanny pouch.

Had the dog showed 3 seconds sooner...

As it turned out he barrel rolled at my feet begging for a belly rub, gave him to a friend and his family enjoyed a great dog for several years.
This is a desired ending I agree one that is good for the dog and hunter. 2 of the dogs generally run off when they see you,the biggest pit bull tends to look you down then as a pattern takes off to catch the others. I simply keep my eye on him until he leaves the property,but I understand a woman being concerned with such a powerful dog hanging around or being surprised by it's sudden appearence. I am hoping that the visit from the Conservation Officer will bring a good result in this whole matter and a new relationship can be brought about by the warning given them. Some people get even when you press them time and time again this is not desired by any of us.We all have dogs and cats but none of them are allowed off the property or to run free not even the cats. Thanks for talking this over with me everyone it has helped curve my frustrations and some anger over the whole situation. Good Hunting be to all as we approach the peak time of our season.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by UPHunter08
Yeah, we already know from other threads that you shoot first, ask questions later, halfbaked. After all, every loose dog is there intentionally and deserves to be shot. Too bad that we're not all perfect like you are and our dogs occasionally get loose, or accidentally lose contact with us when we're bird hunting and stray across a property line. Sigh.

lets compare apples to apples.....this is nothing as described in the op..this guy has been to "your" house 10 times, and you dont give a crap.....stay on topic ehhhhhh?
Old 10-26-2011, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default The Ol West

Instantly brought back memories of ol sarge and his winter hunts for wild dogs. Many a wild dog met its end in a snowy clearing with the sarge's M1 Carbine.
Don't make them like they use to do. Everything is now legalized for criminal rights. Of course, I guess they've redefined the term wild dog.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've re-located a couple that did not have tags, even taken one home. That was the one I almost put an arrow thru one morning last year because he looked alot like a coyote at first light.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, if I were in your situation I would exhaust all legal means of dealing with this issue. The risk with killing the dogs as some have suggested is you give the dog owner cause or perhaps motive to take legal action against you. As far as you know, the owner may be waiting for you to shoot the dogs so he can take legal action against you.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:13 AM
Spike

Default Three S's

Practice the three S's
Shot
Shovel
and Shut up!!!
Old 10-27-2011, 08:00 PM
Spike

Around here, we have a problem with wild dogs. Morons from the city seem to think it's O.K. to dump their unwanted pets off out in the country. You have to go to the one of the "bigger" towns to get a part time animal control officer or drive 50 mi. to find a full time animal shelter.

If they a big enough that the coyotes don't kill them, they run together. If you shoot one, odds are about even as to whether it will be a pure blood coyote or a coydog. So, if they don't have tags and aren't with their owners, they're history. I shoot a dozen or so each year and so does the game warden for this area (actually, he shoots quite a few more).
Old 10-29-2011, 06:51 AM
Spike

I am in agreement with trying to first find an alternate way of taking care of these dogs before shooting them. Not saying shooting them is out of the question though. Just a word of caution though. I can say this from experience. I am in Law Enforcement. Just because there are supposedly laws to protect people from certain things IE shooting a dog that doesnt mean you cant be sued. I have seen and been supoened into civil trials when the bad guy sued the good guy. This is even after the bad guy had been arrested for pretty serious stuff. I have seen juries award the bad guy tens of thousands of dollars. All I am saying is becareful in what you do. It stinks when you are in the right and end up paying in the end. You just never know what a jury will do.