Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Not a good way to start the season or become a rage customer... >

Not a good way to start the season or become a rage customer...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Not a good way to start the season or become a rage customer...

Old 10-09-2011, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Not a good way to start the season or become a rage customer...

I decided to give the rages a try this year and me and my sis went out tonight and we just sat by the some trees and tall grass and waited for deer to come out in the field. Well right off the bat a nice doe comes out walking right in front of me, I pull back and shoot. Good shot going straight for the lungs. But my rages hit the doe and clogged up instantly with blood/meat/hair/etc.. and didn't deploy out making the arrow only going in like 4-5 inches and getting one lung and also leaving me no blood trail at all. We watched the direction the doe went and let her sit for a good 1 1/2-2 hours. (with this heat we wanted to make sure we retreived her as fast as we could). We started out where I shot her in search of blood and all we found were a few drops.. leading us no where. So we followed where she took off to and looked everywhere but could not find her. We walked up and down all our draws two and three times and checked all the open areas and water areas. Nothing.

Wounded deer, dull rage broadhead with replacement o-ring needed, and an unhappy hunter with a disappointed sister that wanted to see her first deer harvested. Not a good start to the season.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:06 PM
Fork Horn

You look small, what's your set up?
Old 10-09-2011, 07:34 PM
Fork Horn

Try grim reapers
Old 10-09-2011, 08:33 PM
Fork Horn

fixed blades are the way to go. on a 60lb bow which, judging by your pic is in the 28" draw length? it really isnt all that much kinetic energy to warrant shooting mechanicals. Not saying it didn't malfunction, it definitely should have, but you'll get more efficient shots with fixed blades in my opinion. (I have a smaller frame, not shooting a huge weight or long draw and thus, shoot fixed.) just my .02
Old 10-10-2011, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm 6 foot and about 170 lbs.. I pull 65 with a 29" draw.it might be a kinetic energy problem with my setup. I think i might be switching back to muzzys

Last edited by Pope94/IA; 10-10-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:20 PM
Fork Horn

heres the best advice i can give u -> dont shoot rages they r junk

i have 2 left over from my pack and i always take one with me just to shoot a groundhog or raccon or such because i wont waste a goodbroadhead on them but a rage i will no doubt cuz they r junk
Old 10-10-2011, 01:22 PM
Typical Buck

How do you know you even hit one lung?? sounds like maybe you got the shoulder plate..did you find your arrow? I shoot a similar set up.. 28.5" draw, 65 lb. my Rage 2 blades have never failed me..
Sorry if I sound a little less sympathetic but it's the shooter more than the equipment.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:40 PM
Fork Horn

I could shoot a dull field point and get more penetrations than you are stating. shot must not have been exactly where you are saying, regardless of what Head was used you would have gotten through the rib cage, if it wouldn't break the bone itself it would have at least deflect through a gap between 2 ribs.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:43 PM
Fork Horn

OH and all this talk about rages stopping dead and getting no penetration on perfect shot because of not deploying, has me wanting to weld 1 shut and shoot directly into a tree or piece of plywood to see it bounce off.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:50 PM
Fork Horn

We all do something stupid at least once. I used rage last year and had the same problem. Now im using slick trick magnums, even after shooting them through the block about 10 times the blades are a lot sharper than the rage blades ever were.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.