Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Tip from Bob Foulkrod- Reducing grip torque >

Tip from Bob Foulkrod- Reducing grip torque

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tip from Bob Foulkrod- Reducing grip torque

Old 08-12-2003, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Tip from Bob Foulkrod- Reducing grip torque

I get the feeling many here are primarily bow hunters, not shooting year round, but getting the bow out a few months before season to practice, then putting it away for the most part the rest of the year. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, but I saw a tip recently that may help you out in dealing with the effect grip torque has on your accuracy, especially when the adrenaline is flowing like when you' re getting ready to fling one at a deer...

Target archers preach shoot with an open relaxed hand, etc, and use a bow sling to catch the bow when it jumps forward. I hate slings, could never get used to them, and see them as just one more thing to try to get done when reaching for my bow when a deer' s approaching. I ditched mine because of this, and learned to shoot with an open hand except for my index finger which I loosely wrapped around the bow, but it still feels funky. I was watching a recent episode of BPS outdoors and Bob offered the following tip. I tried it, and it works GREAT!.

If you grip the bow with an open hand, unless you' ve religiously practiced the tendency is to grab it when the bow fires. This kills accuracy. Gripping with all fingers wrapped around the grip does as well. Try this:

Nestle the throat of the grip in the V of your thumb and index finger. Next, place your FINGERTIPS on the front of the riser, just enough to feel contact and a secure hold, you don' t use much if any force. Draw, shoot. The bow feels much more secure in my hand like I can control it without having to worry about it falling out of my hand. The best thing about this tecnique is if you do get excited or forget and use a lot of grip pressure, the force is directed into and through the bow, not side to side, so the affect on accuracy is greatly reduced. Especially handy when the Big Boy steps out. To test this out, nock an arrow, take your grip, hold the bow out undrawn, and squeeze. The arrow tip moves very little. Now wrap your hand around the riser and grip. The arrow tip moves a ton.

Give it a shot. It really seems to work well for me, and is easy to repeat and comfortable.
Old 08-12-2003, 01:43 PM

Default RE: Tip from Bob Foulkrod- Reducing grip torque

I changed to this grip a few months ago and cannot say enough good things about it. Much like anything else, you need to give it more than just a session or two. It felt VERY strange for about a week, but the improvements in consistency were dramatic.

Just my two cents.
Old 08-12-2003, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the tip Rangeball. I think I might try it out tonight and see how it works. I do know what ya mean when you said the bow moves when you grip with your entire hand. I' ve been fighting that for years. But now it sounds like you found the solution for me and hopefully it will tighten up my groups. Thanks again!
Old 08-12-2003, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

You' re welcome

Hope this helps a lot of guys and gals... Grip torque is a major accuracy robbing culprit for those that don' t shoot year round. This grip really helps bring it under control.
Old 08-17-2003, 07:24 PM

Just wanted to say that I was shooting today and remembered this thread for some reason. I usually group 2-3" at 20 yards so I don' t really feel like accuracy is a big problem for me...........but I was curious so what the heck right??

I shot 21 arrows (groups of 3) and only 3 arrows were not touching shafts []

Nothing but dead center in the X-ring of my McKenzie.

I have always been pleased with my shooting but WOW I was impressed with the results. I will definately try this for a couple weeks and see if it was just beginners luck. I think it really helped me hold steadier. I don' t really miss left or right when I make a bad shot.........usually high or low.

It felt very steady and very comfortable.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 08-17-2003, 08:38 PM

Rangeball,

Thanks for the info. I gave it a try today and it not only felt good, but my shots were very accurate. I' m going to shoot this way for awhile and see if it feels good, long term.
Old 08-17-2003, 09:33 PM

I also switched today. Man what a difference. It helped me a lot.
Old 08-18-2003, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, great news guys. I' m glad my experience wasn' t a fluke
Old 08-18-2003, 08:22 AM

i tried this as well. Seems to work!!!, thanks for the tip.
Old 08-18-2003, 11:14 AM
Typical Buck

I also tried this technique and I went to shooting bullet holes. thanks for helping me get straightened out/