Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Utility Pole

Old 10-03-2011, 08:29 PM
Spike

Default Utility Pole

Just a question in regards to the legality of hunting from a utility pole. The farm I archery hunt on as a large cut down the center of the woods with utility poles stretching for miles in both directions. Is it legal to climb up and hunt from one with a climber?
Old 10-03-2011, 09:11 PM
Fork Horn

i am not sure... it could be but it may not be too terribly safe. we use to put them up for ladder stands. One day i desided to climb one of the old ones and had the bottom of my stand slip out from under me. Just be careful if you decide to give it a shot
Old 10-04-2011, 04:09 AM
Spike

I don't know of any state regulations but, the utility companies, who own the poles might have a different view. Check with them.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:15 AM
Typical Buck

As a lineman i would say that is a big no no, first problem is you put a big liability on you and the utility, what if something goes wrong with that pole or the phases that rest on it and a lineman has to climb it? What if something like a cross arm or insulator gives out and you get a hot phase on top of your shoulder, life as you know it would never be the same. My company even gives ranchers hell for tying fences onto the poles, i dont want to be the guy that puts a stand on one.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:46 AM
Fork Horn

no, you can't do it.