Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
What is wrong with this doe? >

What is wrong with this doe?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What is wrong with this doe?

Old 09-29-2011, 06:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Why not email a picture to your state's wildlife division, they have biologists that might actually know if there is anything wrong with her???
Old 09-30-2011, 05:47 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by kyboydbowhunter
i dont think she is just taking a deep breath.
booyah!
:d
Old 10-01-2011, 02:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think she is just skinny. Once fall and winter hit, she will fatten up.. I think she looks like a normal doe in transition.. Just my opinion... I see them around here like that and always wonder whats wrong. Then once it starts getting cold, they fattened right up
Old 10-01-2011, 06:52 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

She is awefull skinny but I would put my money on her being suckled down by the fawns.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, she's skinny because the fawns are most likely still sucking. I see that a lot in early bow season.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd wait before jumping to conclusions. The other deer in the photo appear erfectly normal, so there's no reason for malnutrition. She may be still feeding fawns as mentioned.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:24 AM
Fork Horn

Looks like she is nursing. We have CWD up this way and I though that was the case on a deer that looked like that. When I showed the pix to DEC, they said it was most likely her fawns depriving her of nutrients.

Since you have a feeder, I would take her out because if she is in distress she could sicken the rest of the herd. This is why New York does not allow feeding wildlife. If you kill her, tag it and take her for inspection. If she is bad, your conservation office should give you a replacement tag, if she's not bad, you thin the herd, have some meat and her fawns will be looked after by others.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:20 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

I agree with some of the others in thinking shes just ran down from the fawns. I get lots of pics this time of year and the poor old does look rough between loosing summer coats and feeding fawns. She is a little more skinny than normal but she could just be older and not recover as fast.