Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
How sharp is sharp??? >

How sharp is sharp???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How sharp is sharp???

Old 09-18-2011, 09:29 AM
Fork Horn

Default How sharp is sharp???

Ive typically just went out and brought new broadheads every year before deer season, but being in school, that money needed to go toward some school books this yr. I still have three broadheads from last yr that havent been shot so i assume they arent dull, but how can i tell if they are as sharp as they need to be?
Any simple tests or anything you can do to tell if they are ready or if i need to sharpen them?
Old 09-18-2011, 12:34 PM
Fork Horn

If they haven't been shot or messed with there is no reason for them to be dull. I don't know how you can test this though. I guess you can rub you thumb lightly across the blades to get a general idea. I'm sure they're sharp enough to kill a deer anyways.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I go by feel and the ability to shave with them.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Deepsouthdeerjunky
Ive typically just went out and brought new broadheads every year before deer season, but being in school, that money needed to go toward some school books this yr. I still have three broadheads from last yr that havent been shot so i assume they arent dull, but how can i tell if they are as sharp as they need to be?
Any simple tests or anything you can do to tell if they are ready or if i need to sharpen them?
If they havent been shot or been in and out of your quiver, they will be fine. The deer won't know the difference between last years model or this years!!!!!!
Old 09-18-2011, 05:30 PM
j76
Typical Buck

If it touches your thumbnail on a steep angle and grabs... it will cut the crap out of anything it touches!!
Old 09-18-2011, 07:04 PM
Typical Buck

yep i use the thumbnail test as well