Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Fell out of a tree stand >

Fell out of a tree stand

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Fell out of a tree stand

Old 09-16-2011, 04:23 AM
Fork Horn

I have one not being used either came with my lone wolf but I have a HSS, anyone that needs one let me know.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

You guys that refuse to wear a harness. Do your family a big big favor. Go get more life insurance or accident insurance. One mishap and you could become a parapelegic or a corpse. Why would you not wear a device that could possibly avoid such a tragedy?

Many of you already have life insurance. For what? What's your chances of dying suddenly? You have homeowner's insurance in the event of your house burning down. What's the odds of that happening? Same goes for auto insurance. You pay out hundreds, maybe thousands to prtect you and your family in the event of some tragedy that will most likely never happen.

You go to work and make money. For what? To provide funds for you and your family to live on. Think what they'd live on without that income if you were gone or even worse, in a wheelchair the rest of your life. How long do you think they could sustain their lifestyle on the measley life insurance money?

You have hundred, maybe thousands wrapped up in equipment for your hobbies. Is $100 or so so important that you would jeopardize your families well being? Is five or ten minutes more time getting into a treestand so important? Leave the house 10 minutes earlier.

Buy and wear a harness. They'll be glad you think so much of them. Cemetaries are flush with poor soles that once said "It can't happen to me".
Old 09-16-2011, 11:48 PM
Fork Horn

those that wear the harness live to hunt another day , those that dont cant tell stories anymore, i personally wont do the tree thing , because i am a avid sleeper lol ,i really do like waking up ,seen too many hunters maimed for life ,wont get near a tree anymore ,and there just plain crippled fer life , NOT WORTH IT imo, 2 feet on the ground werks fer me good luc
Old 09-17-2011, 02:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
i almost fell once, now i just dont sleep in the stand..i know i should get a harness, but there is always sumthin better at the time to get.
Originally Posted by xGREENx
im the exact same as you halfbaked, i havent fallen from tree nor come close (knock on wood). Theres always something id rather buy than a harness. ill look at one and say i should get that, but by that time i will already have 200$ worth of things in my hands and i say maybe next time, and than next time rolls around and the same thing happens.
Let me be perfectly clear about this. You all are just plain playing with fire if you don't wear a safety harness. I too didn't wear one for many years. My wife kept nagging me about it and I would always tell her I was going to get one but I never did. One day we were in Gander Mountain and she just up and buys it for me. I started wearing it and do you know the very first time I put it on and got into a stand, the stand BROKE. Had I not been wearing that vest, I would have fallen to the ground and who knows what the outcome would have been. Later that same year, believe it or not, I had another stand break. Again, I would have been pitched to the ground without the vest. You can be as careful as you know how, I always was too, but you can't do anything about a stand suddenly failing. Now, I won't get in a tree without one. BUY ONE. NOTHING IS WORTH YOUR LIFE OR HEALTH.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 09-17-2011, 04:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

One very good reason I never hunt without a NoDoze product. Keeps me alert on stand.

If your going to sleep tie yourself off even if you have a harness on and make sure your stand is tilted slightly back towards the tree.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by PastorJim08
Let me be perfectly clear about this. You all are just plain playing with fire if you don't wear a safety harness. I too didn't wear one for many years. My wife kept nagging me about it and I would always tell her I was going to get one but I never did. One day we were in Gander Mountain and she just up and buys it for me. I started wearing it and do you know the very first time I put it on and got into a stand, the stand BROKE. Had I not been wearing that vest, I would have fallen to the ground and who knows what the outcome would have been. Later that same year, believe it or not, I had another stand break. Again, I would have been pitched to the ground without the vest. You can be as careful as you know how, I always was too, but you can't do anything about a stand suddenly failing. Now, I won't get in a tree without one. BUY ONE. NOTHING IS WORTH YOUR LIFE OR HEALTH.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Your stand broke because you didn't make sure it wouldn't. Your careless nature was something your wife was aware of and that is why she was on you. She was right. You definitely should wear a harness and truthfully, you should stay on the ground with your record.

Hard for a stand to break strapped down tight with way more straps on stands that never come with enough.

A harness is betting you'll fall, I don't gamble. I completely took apart my climber last season and completely went through it, it's ready. All other stands are very secure and I don't use a strange ones without a great deal of caution.

Wearing a harness is good. Not wearing one isn't playing with fire, besides "playing" with fire is what people do who don't use caution when climbing, they definitely need an extinguisher handy. People who use fire with caution will never need one. Some of you guys advocate still playing with fire after being burnt as long as you wear an extinguisher when you do. I'd rather take advice from someone who doesn't play with fire than someone who's pr oven they have and still do.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:32 PM
Fork Horn

man you guys need to get a harness this is not hunting related but maybe it will make you think about it next time my friend drives a sprint wears all the saftey stuff and then drives home and wont wear his seatbelt i dont see the difference you can get killed at 100 mph or at 40 mph.bottom line you need to wear a saftey harness.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I never hunt without my safety vest, or will I let my buddies hunt without one, I wouldn't want to be the one to have to tell someones loved ones that they are dead because they were stupid...
Old 09-18-2011, 06:25 AM
Spike

Had a harness save me a couple times. I work nights so falling asleep in the stand is a regular occurrence for me. The harness is also useful for shooting. I can lean a little farther at an odd angle without worrying about falling.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by BGfisher
Buy and wear a harness. They'll be glad you think so much of them. Cemetaries are flush with poor soles that once said "It can't happen to me".

Do you leave your house without turning the gas off? Do you drive your car without checking the tires? Do you eat meat without checking the temp?

No you make sure the meat, tires and gas supply are good or do you go around with all kinds of safety equipment for when it happens?

Most harness advocates are like people who sit on a couch smoking. Time and time again they fall asleep while smoking and the dear wife says your going to catch fire one of these days. Shazam it happens and then they take action. They now never sit on the couch without a fire extinguisher sitting right next to it. And to prove the wisdom of the new safety measure not long after they implemented it, they caught on fire again, but this time the extinguisher saved them.

After that they go on forums and tell everybody that unless they do the same they are playing with fire. They are by many the experts at giving advice on how not to burn your house down. I don't take gun safety advice from people who admit they are no expert when their advice is always wear a bullet proof vest.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.