HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Fell out of a tree stand
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2011, 04:16 AM
nodog
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by PastorJim08
Let me be perfectly clear about this. You all are just plain playing with fire if you don't wear a safety harness. I too didn't wear one for many years. My wife kept nagging me about it and I would always tell her I was going to get one but I never did. One day we were in Gander Mountain and she just up and buys it for me. I started wearing it and do you know the very first time I put it on and got into a stand, the stand BROKE. Had I not been wearing that vest, I would have fallen to the ground and who knows what the outcome would have been. Later that same year, believe it or not, I had another stand break. Again, I would have been pitched to the ground without the vest. You can be as careful as you know how, I always was too, but you can't do anything about a stand suddenly failing. Now, I won't get in a tree without one. BUY ONE. NOTHING IS WORTH YOUR LIFE OR HEALTH.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Your stand broke because you didn't make sure it wouldn't. Your careless nature was something your wife was aware of and that is why she was on you. She was right. You definitely should wear a harness and truthfully, you should stay on the ground with your record.

Hard for a stand to break strapped down tight with way more straps on stands that never come with enough.

A harness is betting you'll fall, I don't gamble. I completely took apart my climber last season and completely went through it, it's ready. All other stands are very secure and I don't use a strange ones without a great deal of caution.

Wearing a harness is good. Not wearing one isn't playing with fire, besides "playing" with fire is what people do who don't use caution when climbing, they definitely need an extinguisher handy. People who use fire with caution will never need one. Some of you guys advocate still playing with fire after being burnt as long as you wear an extinguisher when you do. I'd rather take advice from someone who doesn't play with fire than someone who's pr oven they have and still do.