Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 HELP TUNING BROADHEADS >

HELP TUNING BROADHEADS

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

HELP TUNING BROADHEADS

Old 08-10-2003, 07:32 PM

Default HELP TUNING BROADHEADS

Starting working with my broadheads for my frst bow elk hunt next month. I have to be honest I have shoot mechincals the last couple of years and killed deer but have not had the kind of performance I want out of the BH. SO i have decided to use a cut on contact head HERE is my delima:

I have four diffent broadheads to try they are the

G5 montec in 100 gr and 125 gr

and the STEELFORCE four blade in 100 GR and 125GR.

My normal set-up up is with 26.5" beaman CAMO shoot from my legacy at about 69 lbs with 100 grain filed point. toal arrow weight about 420 grains.

RESULTS: normal field points got 1- 2" group at 20 yds every time

G5 montec 100 grain 1-2" low every tiime, WORRIED THIS MIGHT BE TOO LIGHT FOR ELK!!

G5 125 3-4 inch low lotos of move ment though

steelforce 100GR TI four blade ways 2" low but would move from side to side a couple inches

Steelforce 125gr ( THIS IS WHAT I REALLY WANTED TO SHOOT) was all over the place seem to be always diving about 6" to 8 " low every time!!

LONG and the SHORT OF THIS IS THAT I ' m CLUELESS AND FRUSTRATED!! I want to shot my mechs again LOL but that is out of the question!

AM I better off using moving my sight to light up with the best shooting of the four of are there other things that I can do to help this out. I really want to use the best and be the best that I can. Don' t wand a wounded animal becuase I didn' t do my part.

how do I go about tuning the broadheads better?

Should I consider going to a heavier ARROW? I really wnat to get this BS fixed!!!

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP GUYS!! this sounds like its up your alley 5-shot !!!
Old 08-10-2003, 07:44 PM

Default RE: HELP TUNING BROADHEADS

By the way I am shooting 3 4" straight vanes ANY THOUGHTS HERE THAT MIGHT HEPL BH ARROW FLIGHT I WILL CONSIDER!!!!!

THANKS
Old 08-10-2003, 08:49 PM

First thing I would do is check the FOC of the present arrow with the broadheads attached and make sure the FOC is somewhere between 9-13%. Then I would put a 4 degree right helical with either 4" vanes or feathers (your preference). Feathers are lighter than vanes, and will increase your FOC % if needed. The helical will stabilize the arrow (with a broadhead) quicker than straight fletch most of the time, and shouldn' t pose clearence problems with your rest. Spin-test the broadheads on each arrow and check for a wobble. Don' t be dissapointed if your field points don' t group the same as the broadheads - you are not hunting with the field points this time. I hunt with both - mechanicals and broadheads (steelforce 100g). The SF groups about 2" lower than my mechanicals/field points. I just move my sight when hunting with them.
Old 08-11-2003, 03:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

go to www.broadheadtests.com and click on the tuning section. I have some good info on getting your heads to fly. If you have any questions after reading it over drop me an email and I would be glad to help out.
Old 08-11-2003, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like your nocking point is too high , and you are shooting too weak of a shaft . 4" offset feathers will allso probably help you . 5 shots link I' m sure will get you pointed in the right direction , but just in case heres a link to eastons allso , If I were you I would make sure I was shooting the properly spined arrows , sounds like your on the week side if when you go to a heaveyer tip you groups get worse . Then skip down the link I gave you straight to broadhead tuneing . Good luck and let us know what worked for you .

http://www.eastonarchery.com/news/tu...ning_guide.pdf