Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Tuning Broadheads >

Tuning Broadheads

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tuning Broadheads

Old 06-16-2003, 09:16 PM

Default Tuning Broadheads

Heard of this problem but never experienced it. I am fairly new to bowhunting and when I bought my bow I just shot it. Broadheads, Fieldpoints, it didn' t matter, they all shot perfect. Since then, have bought some new arrows(Goldtip 5575) and broadheadsI(G5 Montecs) and paper tuned my bow at a proshop. Now I can get a perfect group with fieldpoints and almost miss the target with broadheads, low and to the right.

I was shooting cheap Easton carbon arrows, now with better gear and seemingly more knowlegde, comes more problems.

Any help?
Old 06-16-2003, 09:32 PM

Default RE: Tuning Broadheads

when shooting broadheads you must slightly resight your pins on your sight since broadheads don' t fly like your field points
Old 06-16-2003, 10:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you are almost missing the target then your bow it not at its' best tune. Make very small adjustments moving the nock down in 1/16th" incraments and that should move the arrows up on the target. Move the rest to the left in about 1/32" incraments and that should bring the arrows back to the left.

Before you do this however make sure that all of your broadheads spin perfect with no wobble at all.

The broad heads will catch wind if they are not coming off the bow straight and will have a tendancy to turn in flight. Just like if you stick your hand out the window of a car going 60mph. There is a sweet spot that will allow your hand to ramin stable and if you twist it then your hand will move up, down, left or right. Samd goes with broadheads, If the blades are not slicing the wind just right then they will turn in flight.
Old 06-16-2003, 11:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would retune your bow by paper tuning and bare shaft tuning, just to make sure your getting bullet holes. I disagree with the comment you have to resight in for BH' s vs. field points. I have shot a good number of types of BH' s and through different bows, if my bow is shooting bullet holes and tuned I have yet to need adjustment when switching heads on the arrows. I have experienced minor changes in POI in the past but not what your experiencing. I would say it is in tuning, arrow stiffness, fletch, something is different that is causing poor flight on the new arrows and BH' s. You should get in the habit of paper tuning when you buy different shafts, BH or add gear to your bow. It can save you lots of pain and suffering.

Good luck
Old 06-17-2003, 12:32 AM

You' re gonna have to re-sight in your bow. Although mechanical broadheads claim to shoot like field points, there will be som slight difference in accuracy. Fixed blades never flew anything like my field points when practicing. Mike,-
Old 06-17-2003, 03:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Go to my website and check out the tunning section. I think it offers some good advice and perspective on shooting fixed blade as well as mechanical broadheads.
www.broadheadtests.com