Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What kind of flashlight do you use to get to your stand? >

What kind of flashlight do you use to get to your stand?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What kind of flashlight do you use to get to your stand?

Old 08-10-2003, 04:49 PM

Default What kind of flashlight do you use to get to your stand?

I was at Lowes today and saw a Hands free head lamp. One of the features was a red LED night vision light. I think I heard somewhere that dear had a hard time seeing red. Do you think this would help being less noticable going to and from stand sights in the dark? It has 2 small red lights and if you point it straigh down it shines out about 4 or 5 feet.
Old 08-10-2003, 06:02 PM

Default RE: What kind of flashlight do you use to get to your stand?

Sounds like that would be a pretty good deal, but I just don' t like having to wear that thing on my head and then taking it off. I just use a little mag light and only use it in areas that I have to. If you don' t have to use a light, I wouldn' t. But if you hunt in an area with other hunters, don' t take any chances, there are to many idiots out there that you can' t trust. And definitely use a light when shotgun or rifle season starts! Hope this helps.

Hasta!
Old 08-10-2003, 06:12 PM
Typical Buck

I have a Princeton Tech LED headlamp and have a red lens cover with it and I have a Mini Mag also with a red lens cover. I am also a licensed pilot and all aircraft instruments have a red light feature so that night vision is not compromised.

That said when I use my red lens covers . . . it is EXTREMELY hard to see anything. The red works great but it has its limitations and I' m not convinced that finding the way to my treestand with red lenses is workable; I started using them last year on my way to the treestand. I hadn' t gone a mile before I removed the lens covers.

I have been wondering about the Green Light that the Streamlight unit uses . . . it might be worth checking out sometime too.
Old 08-10-2003, 06:58 PM

I carry a small bore-light for reading my watch in the morning, for an evening stand I carry a brighter light in case I need to find a bloodtrail. Good luck hunting!
Old 08-10-2003, 07:00 PM

i carry a mini mag but i rarely use it when goin to my stand, i usually try and let my night vision settle in before i start off, and usually i know the trail anyways, knowing the area is the best thng to do
Old 08-10-2003, 07:02 PM

stream light mini pen light in green or red BRIGHT LIGHT WEIGHT and always ready!!!!
Old 08-10-2003, 08:04 PM

mini maglite only use it when I have to
Old 08-10-2003, 09:15 PM

MiniMAg - only when u cant see the trail. i like to keep it dark
Old 08-10-2003, 10:24 PM

I have the Stylus green light from Streamlight[:-]. It is no bigger than a pen and has a good retention clip that has never failed me. I use it at work daily. It is very bright for its size and has a push button or twist on feature. It uses a 100,000 hour bulb and uses 3 AAAA batteries that come with it. I have used them at work for over a year and never had to change batteries.
In the woods it does a pretty good job but still has trouble picking up those small branches that seem to always find your face[:@].
I also have a headlamp from streamlight that is small and lights up the path much better but is more noticeable to others around too.

Good luck hunting this year.
Old 08-11-2003, 04:00 AM

i use a mini mag light !

Quick Reply: What kind of flashlight do you use to get to your stand?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.