Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 You make the call?? >

You make the call??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

You make the call??

Old 08-09-2003, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default You make the call??

Ok trying to think of a way to use real life situations to help out newer(or not so newer) hunters when determining the course of action for trailing after the shot has been made. I figure we can post everything about the shot and moments thereafter...let some replies come in as to what people would do and then post what you did and hte result. Here goes.

Its a dreary evening with rainshowers in the forcast..scattered through the evening, but becoming heavy overnight. NO rain has fallen during the evening hunt. Took a quartering(medium angle) away shot on a buck at 13 yds and 15 ft up in a tree as darkness approached. Upon impact there was a solid thud, with about half the arrow penetrating. As he whirled and ran, his opposite shoulder was visibly out of commission. He ran 50 yds and stopped for less than a minute, he then turned slightly left and went about 20 more yards, where I seen him LAY down, not fall. I strained to watch him for 5-10 minutes but darkness took over. As I sat there waiting, rain starts to fall and hard. What do you do? The overnight low is expected to be mid 40' s.
Old 08-09-2003, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: You make the call??

If you saw him " lay down" I am not going to disturb this deer. Chances are if you say it started raining hard your going to have trouble finding a blood trail anyway at that point. I back out and give this buck some time. No sense in turning a questionable situation into a nightmare.
Old 08-09-2003, 04:32 PM

I would wait for 1 hour so as not to jump him and then Very quietly climb down from my treestand and approach him with great caution. Hopefully I`d find that I hit his liver and he was dead but I`d be ready for anything. Sorry, I have to agree with AE if I could get out of the woods without spooking him I would, it would be a long night waiting till morning but still better than jumping him and having to try to follow.
Old 08-09-2003, 04:33 PM

DITTO, BETTER TO WAIT AND FEEL LIKE THIS
THAND TO PUSH AND FEEL LIKE THIS

>>>---DAVID-P---SILER-CITY-NC--->
Old 08-09-2003, 04:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

I know this sounds nuts, but if he' s only 60-70 yards away, and lays down in sight and I' m not 100% sure of the shot..........I' m in for a long dark wet sit![]
Seriously.
Where else do you have to be? Leave the deer be for a few hours........not minutes but hours. Stay in stand. (Game laws might be touchy feely on this but this is what I would personally do)
I won' t take the chance of moving that deer AT ALL. If it' s gonna rain hard that night. He' d better stay put.......the only way to do your part to ensure this is to enjoy the darkness and be patient.
After probably 2-3 hours or so I' d climb down as quietly as possibe listening for any movement.........if the deer is fatally hit he should be laying exactly where you saw him last. The toughest call is what to do now?
Trail slowly and chance bumping him? or slip out in spite of the heavy rain and hope he' s right there in the morning at first light?

After the long wait, and quietly and slowly climbing down I' d personally slip out without even a hint of investigation, go home and check the weather for the overnight rain and when its supposed to start..........I' d give myself a decent cushion to avoid the heavy stuff if possible and after a few more hours head back out with 1 trusted trailing buddy and some lights.

That' s my call.
Old 08-09-2003, 06:41 PM
Typical Buck

I love quartering away shots. I' d give this animal 1/2 hour to an hour. You know where he went down. From your description of the shot and hit you most probably hafe penetrated the liver, which alone is a 2 to 4 hour wait. However you also indicate the thud and the opposite front shoulder being out of commission.

Here' s my read: You penetrated the liver which is less important because the thud that occurred was your arrow sticking in the opposite shoulder. I euspect that your arrow probably penetrated both lungs. Sit in your stand long enough and you will probably hear him coughing and drowning in his own blood; once you have heard this sound it is one that you will quickly learn to recognize. I doubt that there was much of a blood trail anyway.
Old 08-09-2003, 06:49 PM
Fork Horn

Fellas and gal' s I have to agree with dick on this one,If it' s the angle you said and it' s in the shoulder you took Lungs and maybe some liver,,But none the less I would sit for a hour and the deer should be down for the count.
If he laid down that quick he was hit real good.
That' s My veiwpoint anyway' s
Old 08-09-2003, 11:47 PM

If he' s lain down,let him be!! If I' m in my climber then I wait with Matt, But if its feasible to get out quick and quiet (IE on a field edge in a loc on or ladder)the opposite way of the deer, leave and come back in the morn! BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY!!!
Old 08-10-2003, 06:30 AM

imo it would depend on how i felt the shot was ,going by you description it was a good shot and the fact that the deer went down so quick,i would slip out as quietly as possible if i could, other wise like twig69 said i' d be there waiting with you guys . now being also that it' s gonna rain.. i' d go get some help and raingear and start where the deer went down . hopefully because it was a good shot and i waited maybe 1hr and 1/2 the deer should be laying dead in the spot i last saw it go down![:-]

Old 08-10-2003, 12:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

In this senario I would slip out of my stand and leave for at least a couple of hours. If I couldn' t leave without spooking him I' d stay put.
Patience here will be the difference between finding him at all or losing him. With the rain, you will never be able to trail him! With the temperature at 40 degrees, you could even wait until morning. Depending on how bad he is hit, he could go for a mile or more if pushed. With patience, even if you wait until morning the meat will still be good.
We trailed a buck last year for about a mile. In the dark, we lost the trail. We found him the next morning and all the meat was in good shape. All we lost were the tenderloins, which probably were still good too, but since they are inside the body cavity we decided against keeping them.

Quick Reply: You make the call??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.