HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - You make the call??
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2003, 04:10 PM
wimp
Nontypical Buck

Default You make the call??

Ok trying to think of a way to use real life situations to help out newer(or not so newer) hunters when determining the course of action for trailing after the shot has been made. I figure we can post everything about the shot and moments thereafter...let some replies come in as to what people would do and then post what you did and hte result. Here goes.

Its a dreary evening with rainshowers in the forcast..scattered through the evening, but becoming heavy overnight. NO rain has fallen during the evening hunt. Took a quartering(medium angle) away shot on a buck at 13 yds and 15 ft up in a tree as darkness approached. Upon impact there was a solid thud, with about half the arrow penetrating. As he whirled and ran, his opposite shoulder was visibly out of commission. He ran 50 yds and stopped for less than a minute, he then turned slightly left and went about 20 more yards, where I seen him LAY down, not fall. I strained to watch him for 5-10 minutes but darkness took over. As I sat there waiting, rain starts to fall and hard. What do you do? The overnight low is expected to be mid 40' s.