Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ethics Delima

Old 08-13-2011, 11:50 AM
Typical Buck

I was in a situation very much like you and your ex-leasers. I had lock ons on some private land and I received a call that they were going to be logging the property during the spring/summer months. Since I knew the loggers would not care for a stand in a tree, I got my butt up there and pulled them all out just incase. If I would have left the stands in the trees and the loggers proceeded in cutting the trees down with my stands in them, It would have been my fault and not the loggers fault.

In your case when the leasers were told about the changing of the lease and that the land may be sold or logged, they should have removed their equipment ASAP.

I would give them their property back but I surely wouldn't take any of their $hit at the same time.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:03 PM
Spike

my take on it is, if they take the time to come get their stands give them back, otherwise I would contact the local police department and inform them of the situation and they will probably let you the next course of action to take and most likely if the stand owners do not come pick them up in a timely fashion, then they will become your property
as far as ethics go, as long as you give them a fair chance to come claim their property and do everything by law, then in my opinion you are being ethical about it
Old 08-13-2011, 11:38 PM
Typical Buck

I leased a property last year,...the previous people to hunt the property removed their stands, they never had a lease, just permission to hunt the property. this past spring, i found a stand still on the property,..a cheaper ladder style. it had the owners name painted on it,...i took it down,...and delivered it to the owner. It had been on the tree long enough that tree growth had separated a section of the ladder,...it is/was still his property in my eyes even tho it had been there for a long time. the guy told me he hasnt hunted in 4 years.
treat others how you would want to be treated
Old 08-14-2011, 05:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would remove any stands I wanted on the last day I had permission to hunt. Otherwise I would consider them abanded and the property of the owner. Flip side would be if I owned the land and gave someone a date ending their permission to the property, I would expect them to remove anything by that date or make suitable arangements with me. Anything not removed would be abanded and become mine.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by gulfcoasthunter
You are right I did them a favor by taking down their stands and they are more than welcome to them, never had any intention of keeping them but at what point would you consider them abandoned.
Never.

Guy pays money to shut out other hunters and the guy who recieves the money feels offended. I couldn't possibly explain the wrongs because it would be in a forgien/ nother world language.

How did your father inlaw contact them?

Ethics question indeed.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:51 AM
Fork Horn

I would be proactive in contacting them about coming for thier equipment, giving them a reasonable amount of time to claim it given their location. If they were out of state, I'd give them a few months, maybe even til Fall hunting if they were leasing another location near your former land. But in the end, if they're taking their sweet time to get their property, they must not care that much about it and you're not their free storage center. So I would check on what's legally allowed and if so, I would sell the stands for scrap and send them a check for the amount you got for them. That's more than fair in my mind.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Give them their stands
its the right thing to do
Old 08-17-2011, 12:41 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by nodog
Never.

Guy pays money to shut out other hunters and the guy who recieves the money feels offended. I couldn't possibly explain the wrongs because it would be in a forgien/ nother world language.

How did your father inlaw contact them?

Ethics question indeed.
their property would never be considered abandoned? As owner of rental property, many times ive had to deal with people moving out and leaving stuff, and if i had to keep their stuff forever so they could come get it at their leisure, id have to own 2 warehouses to store it all.
To me this is no different, when your lease ends.....you know if you have stuff left there, and you know if you want it back or not. If you dont make a reasonable effort to get it in a timely manner, its abandoned and thats it. I think in virginia the renter has a month or maybe 2 (its been awhile since ive had to do it), and then it belongs to me......i can do with it what i want.

You rescued the property from destruction, so these guys should be saying thank you instead of raising hell. Me personally, i would proabably give it back to them if they were nice about it just in an effort to not cause waves, but i dont think id take an inch of crap about it.