Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Crap, bow making new "bad" noise... >

Crap, bow making new "bad" noise...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Crap, bow making new "bad" noise...

Old 07-20-2011, 03:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default Crap, bow making new "bad" noise...

I have a Bear Element bow and I've been shooting it for 3 years and love it. Always shot great and quiet as heck. Well it was time for a new string and I purchased a VaporTrail string so I know its quality and an upgrade from the stock string I had on. I took it to BassPro today to get it put on and they did it right there in their archery shop as I waited. It all looked good when i got it back. Of course I wanted to shoot today. I took the first shot and holy crap i never heard that noise before. I thought something was loose so tightened everything and tried again, same thing. I should add Im using the same brand/type string silencers I always have, nothing at all is different on the bow but the string. The only possible thing I can think of is the cables. I've heard of cable noise but never experienced it. Its a loud noise that has a "vibration" sound to it. I can take a video tomorrow if that will help. While looking the bow over, I noticed the plastic by the cable guard looks different. It always sat flush against the bar but now, one "arm" is bending out as if there's more pressure than before. I never remember the plastic sliding as easy as it does now as well. Is that due to it being a new string that hasn't stretched yet or now that I moved up to a better string, will I need to get some cables silencers etc? I'm really confused here. If I need stuff for the cables, any suggestions to what? Does anyone think basspro messed something up?
I attached pics to help show what i described. Any help is MUCH APPRECIATED!!!
Attached Thumbnails Crap, bow making new "bad" noise...-photod.jpg   Crap, bow making new "bad" noise...-photof.jpg   Crap, bow making new "bad" noise...-photot.jpg  
Old 07-23-2011, 04:09 PM
Spike

It probley needs to be tuned. check the A2A Lenght, and the timing to see if they are in spec.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:25 PM
Spike

Is that the original position of the cables? Maybe they have then in the wrong slot?
Old 08-22-2011, 01:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Doing your own isn't all that difficult and if you do screw it up the education (if your a learner) will be worth a lot more. I even built my own press. I'll bet I'm the only one around with a press made out of 60 year old cherry.

They didn't do anything more than put the strings on and there's more to putting them on than that. Find out what they should be and then return to the store with the bow. Show them why it's wrong and do not except anything less than a refund. Make or buy a press and do it yourself. Been in enough shops to know that none of the one's I've or others I know have been in do the job right. They could even have broken something or you could've gotten the wrong strings (Happens, been there).

I had a new noise on my 05 Hoyt that because I work on my own found to be a bad cam bearing. I went to an authorized dealer with the cam in hand and he declared it wasn't bad and if it was it wouldn't make noise or effect anything. I told him to pinch the bearing and spin it, he then declared it bad but still said it wouldn't effect anything. What moron thinks a bad bearing has no effect, not me. He then tried to give me one of a different color (nice). I left with the right cam and color but only because I knew what was what and why. Noise gone and shots truer.