Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
hate to do this but i have a broadhead question >

hate to do this but i have a broadhead question

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

hate to do this but i have a broadhead question

Old 08-22-2011, 07:27 AM
Fork Horn

Default hate to do this but i have a broadhead question

i know everybody hates these threads including me, but i have a question between 2 broadheads. i always shoot mechanical i just dont trust the flight of fixed they fly weird for me. i shot the rage the past 2 years and i hate them. ive had them break on me ive had them get poor penetration they just dont do it for me. i think i have it down to 2 broadheads. either the sidewinder by rocket broadheads or the meat seeker by trophy ridge. my best friend told me that he always shoots the sidewinder. he told me he put it through both shoulder blades on a doe last year. i watched a video on the meat seeker and it had incredible penetration. if anybody has shot either broadhead or has any information for my i would really appericiate it. i stuck right now and i need to pick one for early doe season to see how the one i choose works
thanks again
Old 08-22-2011, 08:05 AM
Typical Buck

what types of fixed blades have you tried?

might not be the head but your setup. You should dial your setup to the head you plan on hunting with.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sutton
i know everybody hates these threads including me, but i have a question between 2 broadheads. i always shoot mechanical i just dont trust the flight of fixed they fly weird for me. i shot the rage the past 2 years and i hate them. ive had them break on me ive had them get poor penetration they just dont do it for me.
I can assure you that the problem is an UNTUNED BOW... not ANY b-head! You simply MUST take the time to tune your equipment and NEVER use a mech b-head as a crutch for poor arrow flight. When an arrow has unstable flight from either fish-tailing or porposing... this will severely limit an arrows ability to penetrate anything. This is why your mechs won't penetrate and why fixed blade b-heads "fly weird" for you. If you don't know how to tune your equipment, please take it to a Pro Shop and they will get you on the right path ?!?

I just can't stress enough how crucial the tuning process is !!! I think you'd be shocked to find that most quality b-heads on the market WILL fly exactly like your field points once you're tuned!

I've shot all the b-heads you've mentioned and I've had good results with all of them on Whitetail sized game (up to 300#) but I can almost promise you that the Rage will/should be able to out penetrate the other heads you mentioned. Please get your rig tuned before heading to the woods this Fall ?!? Good luck and good huntin'
Old 08-22-2011, 11:31 AM
Spike

I used the Meat Seeker when it was called an Undertaker I believe. Broke on blade on a shoot through on a 10 point. Deer was just as dead, but I've switched to a fixed blade now. Tune the bow no matter what head you shoot.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

They are right...I started shooting in the 60s and I've had guys make all kinds of claims about broadheads and all type stories of arrows flying funny...

We are actually lucky to have as many good heads as we do, some heads were really funky back in the 70s...If you are shooting the correct spined arrows your bow can be tuned for a variety of broadheads...

Take your bow out and shoot a group with field points, mark the group...Now screw in your broadheads and shoot a group...If the group is high or low or left or right then you need to move the arrow rest just a tad...Work on one at a time, when you finish you should have field points and broadheads hitting at the same point...

Google Easton arrows and they can explain in more detail but it is truely that simple...Some guys tweek their nocking point but for most of us the rest is easier to play with...I'm only talking about moving it 1/32 or so to change the point of impact 2-3 inches at 20 yards...

This also helps your bow transfer more energy to the arrow...Now once you are finished you can decide what type broadhead you want to use, but never let your out of tuned bow dictate what you have on the end of your arrow...
Old 08-22-2011, 12:50 PM
Fork Horn

i tune my bow atleast once a year. i just bought a new bow last year actually. the rages are good. ive had pass troughs on 4 out of 6 deer i shot with them... i did however shoot a buck with one last year and it went right through him but when i picked the arrow up both blades were gone. then i shoulder a deer and the penetration was very poor so i decided i was done with them. as for fixed blades i shot the montec g5s and muzzys but they fish tailed bad. i know i could set my bow up for them but i still dont think ill be very confident with my arrow being tipped with one when i have a shot at a buck of a life time... every mechanical i have ever shot flew just like my field tip and i liked that. penetration is always a worry for me tho because i always hug the shoulder blade on the deer. ive only shouldered two deer in my life tho.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:03 PM
Spike

If i were you i would pick up some Grim Reapers. Hands down the best broadheads ive shot. They will fly like field point. penetrate easily and are extremly durable. plus they do not have o rings like many mechanicals.