Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How often do you practice? >

How often do you practice?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How often do you practice?

Old 08-07-2003, 06:29 AM

Default RE: How often do you practice?

I shot 12-15 shots every other day or so. Remember it' s quality not quantity. When on stand - it' s that 1st shot that' s important.
Old 08-07-2003, 06:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

I used to shoot a lot (but not everyday) until tendonitis set it. Be careful and beware of shooting too much with radical cams. Now I have to ice my shoulder after every session and my shoulder reminds of it 24-7.
Old 08-07-2003, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I throw arrows once a week until August. Then I go every 3rd day or so....By Sept 1st I' ll be going every other day until Sept 15th (opening of small game here in Michigan) Then I' ll go every day as the weather permits. I usuallly only throw about 25 arrows each time. I have a 5-spot target and put 1 arrow at each spot, retrieve ' em and do it again 4 more times.
Old 08-07-2003, 07:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Remember it' s quality not quantity.
Great point, especially for me these days.
Old 08-07-2003, 07:12 AM

I have a 20yd. target in my shop and at home that I hit on 3X a week.My buddies and I shoot a lest one 3-D shoot a week.We also have targets set-up for 30-40-50yds.I try to keep it around 30-40 arrows at a time when just doing targets.
Old 08-07-2003, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

well in a normal week i probably practice maybe once a week. i should pratice more, but after a day of working i am not ready to practice. well for me i have noticed that the more arrows that i shoot in one practice. that i do seem to do a little worse. my only thoughts are the your muscles may be getting a little tried. so relax for a day and try again.
I find the same thing. I usually try to get out once a week in the off season, then 2 or 3 times a week for the month before the season begins, then once the season is in full swing, im back to once a week. That is always on Sun. since in VA, you can' t hunt on Sun. and the rest of the week, instead of practicing, I hunt.
Old 08-07-2003, 09:09 AM
Fork Horn

i spose i shoot close to 100 arrows a week.... usually 3 or 4 days of shooting... sometimes with my lil cuz...we helo each other with our form... and i' ve noticed also that if i shoot too many my groups and accuracy really start to get bad...
Old 08-07-2003, 12:59 PM
Typical Buck

I don' t see the need for a guy to " practice" much with a compound bow. Traditional equipment is a different story. But unless you are a tournament shooter or just love to shoot, I don' t see the need for hunting. When the season ends on December 31, I hang my bow up and don' t pick it up again until around August and then I shoot a couple times a week until October 1st, and then I hunt. Hunting is what gets the meat and the horns. As long as I' m grouping well at 20 yards consistently, I' m good. I do shoot a couple 3d' s in September as well.
Old 08-07-2003, 03:34 PM

I kinda agree with you wolfen. I shoot a compound, though it' s without sights. When I shoot at deer or turkey, it happens so fast, and I know the shot will be good. Since I don' t shoot past 30 yards or so, practice isn' t really neccessary, but I love to shoot my bow.
Old 08-07-2003, 05:34 PM

Every day at this time of the year. My 1st year bow hunting, I need all the practice I can get.

Quick Reply: How often do you practice?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.