HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Southern deer jump the string more?????
Old 08-06-2003, 02:53 PM
Todd1700
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Southern deer jump the string more?????

I believe there is something to this as well. No I don' t think that southern deer are just born more jumpy but they are hunted longer and harder than most northern deer. I have a friend who hunts here and in Illinois and he has said on numerous occasions that the deer he arrows up there react far less to the shot than deer down here in Alabama do. I am going up there with him the first week of November so I' ll have a chance to compare for myself. I can tell you this; during daylight hours the deer here are as nervous as a virgin on prom night and they will look up and bust your a$$ in a treestand like they have ESP or something. I have heard a lot of hunters from other states talk about hunting from treestands 12 and 15 feet off the ground. Forget that nonsense down here. If you don' t plan to get any higher than that with a bow here you may as well stay in the truck and listen to the radio. 25 feet is about the minimum with 30 feet being even better. And even then you will still get busted.