Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

question

Old 06-25-2011, 04:58 PM
Spike

Default question

im just starting to get into bowhunting .i have been on a few trips in my youth but that was long ago and i was basically just along for the ride ..so im getting older now and i want to get back to it ..i live in florida and plan to hunt alot with the bow i just got ..i have it set at 58 59 # 29inch lengh i got some 100 grain montec broads and i practice with 100 grain feild points ,most likely i will hunt turkey and hog ..so basically im wondering if 58#s is enough ...i don.t want my shoulder to be outah wack after a fews years so i'm opting for a lower weight as appose to 70 0r 80 ....just wondering what you fellows think ..
Old 06-25-2011, 05:00 PM
Spike

plus if you guys have any advise it would be greatly appreciated
Old 06-25-2011, 06:22 PM
Typical Buck

Keep on practicing. I'm not sure if you already have but you should also practice with a spare broadhead to see if they fly as true as your practice points. Good luck! When will you be hunting?
Old 06-27-2011, 11:27 AM
Fork Horn

58#'s is plenty i know quite a few people who have killed great bucks with 40lb bows. One of my best friends shot a monster doe last year and had a complete pass through with a 10 year old 50lb bow. Its all about shot placement and practice, practice, practice!
Old 06-27-2011, 12:31 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by PREDATE
Keep on practicing. I'm not sure if you already have but you should also practice with a spare broadhead to see if they fly as true as your practice points. Good luck! When will you be hunting?
Originally Posted by ryndisher
58#'s is plenty i know quite a few people who have killed great bucks with 40lb bows. One of my best friends shot a monster doe last year and had a complete pass through with a 10 year old 50lb bow. Its all about shot placement and practice, practice, practice!
First 2 things that came to my mind. Make sure to shot with the broad heads and shot placement is the key. Practice a lot. I will throw in the practice when you can in exactly what you will hunt in. Just adding in a hat and a sweatshirt can alter how you would shoot as apposed to a t-shirt. You don't want to try to figure out how to make those adjustments when you are in the stand.

I wear contacts most of the time. I went out to hunt with my glasses once and did not give it another thought. When I drew back I was not looking through my glasses. To look through my peep I had to look over my glasses. Ruined that morning of hunting. Even a pair of binoculars around your neck can mess you up.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:11 PM
Spike

That is plenty of weight. Just make sure you practice enough with your broadheads so you can hit where you want to.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Plenty of bow. On the big boars, wait until they are quartering slightly away. Shoot through the back of the ribs and plan for your arrow to travel forward directly into the heart/lung region. The boars have huge cartilage plates and plenty of scar tissue (from fighting) on their front shoulders, which serves vigorously to protect their vitals from sharp objects. Their heart is a bit lower and farther forward then it is on a deer. Their lungs are protected by massive shoulder structure in a broadside position. A lot of pig end up being shot too far rearward of the vitals. I would suggest a quick study of pig anatomy...

A lower shot into the vitals is better than a high shot. Pigs are naturally filled with "fix a flat". A shot which is too high tends to seal and thus the pig goes unrecovered. They leak better when the shot is placed lower...

A great read on pigs:

http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm....ting-hogs.html

Last edited by iamyourhuckleberry; 06-27-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:16 PM
Spike

thanks thats good to hear .....the best hunter i've ever known is my uncle Charles...and i remember that i could pull the wieght on his bow when i was 13 or 14 and i don't recall it being to very hard maybe somewhere around where my bow is now....maybe even less
and there wasn't a season that he came home without a few turkeys, hogs, deer ....i plan to practise alot with a couple of spare broads i have ....what do yall think the best broads are to use for hunting hogs and for turkey ....and what might be the best to catch my arrows when practice ing ..maybe like a large block of styrofoam or some type of burlup sack filled with sand or mud ...maybe a couple bails of hay ...i plan on getting out there this season and seeing if i can bring something home so any advise you fellows wanna pour out on me will be wellcomely accepted and used ...and about the naysayers i guess there out there and theres plenty ....but i guess if i dont need 50 inch tires on my truck then i dont need 80 pounds on my bow and more than likely i will be able to get where ever i wanna go ....
Old 06-27-2011, 05:22 PM
Spike

and i have allready started to study up on the habits of my desired game, but anatomy thats prolly gunna be real important ...might not of thought of that for a min ....i have the general idea of placement but thats gunna be very helpfull knowlege ....but like i said shoot me any advise you are willing to big or small ...
Old 06-27-2011, 05:23 PM
Spike

prolly wouldnt have thought or practicing in the gear i plan to hunt in for quite a long while thats good info