Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Big woods and Mountains & Food plots question >

Big woods and Mountains & Food plots question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Big woods and Mountains & Food plots question

Old 06-01-2011, 12:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default Big woods and Mountains & Food plots question

Well yall got a camp located in the mnts of VT we got 120acers surrounded by 10000 logging company acers. These are mostly Oak and Beech Ridges with thick pine areas with some swamps. Now the beech and oak Crop has been bad last 6 years in my area and we find the deer tend to go down the mnt to the farm land when this happens. Now there isnt alot of spots to put a food plot i got 2 spots in my mind where i could put 1/4-1/2 acer plots in. Do you think this might help the Immediate area around the plots keep deer there longer threw Nov deer season with a last season crop? Also these areas have little apple orchards that are rip just before and during the begining of rifle season. We still see a few deer and shoot a couple decent bucks, but would liek to maybe see more does and deer staying up our way in the mnts insted of going 1.5 or so down it to the farm/ bottom land areas. Thanks yall for any input i will try to throw some google earth pics up of our area if my internet will coperate.

Spc Matthew Connor
181 INF
Laghman Afghanistan
Old 06-01-2011, 09:12 AM
Typical Buck

I am doing the same thing this year, except I am putting my plot in an area that is less than half a mile to agricultural fields. I'm hoping the deer will use it as they are migrating from bedding areas to the fields, at least 30 minutes or so before dark. They usually aren't in the fields until dark due to hunting pressure.

I would think you could hold some deer in the area, but there is no real way to know until you try. 1.5 miles is not a lot for a deer to travel, but the question is whether their "home range" will include both your food plots and the fields.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I you get anything to grow on any of those "acers"...... let me know. lol

Last edited by RidgeFACTOR; 06-01-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Biggest problem in such areas is the soil prep.I've considered it myself but the cost of clearing stumps,rocks,etc alone would be quite a bit.