Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 looking to buy one >

looking to buy one

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

looking to buy one

Old 08-01-2003, 09:28 AM

Default looking to buy one

fellas, gonna bid on a bow today form ebay and i have no idea what im doing. read an ad that tsain it had a draw lenth of 29 inches, draw weight between 50-55lb and a let f of somthin or another. not sure. the brand was bear. im just looking for something that will work this season and if i dig it, ill get a good bow next year. soem of the cheaper brand names up for bid are bear, darton, browning, PSE, york.

give me soem advice here.

thnks
Old 08-01-2003, 09:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: looking to buy one

eastwood I just bought a browning Ambush last year, sweet bow, no it doesn' t shoot 400 fps, but it shoots more than fast enough, it is quiet and accurate. Browning bows are designed by Browning and made for them by PSE.
Old 08-01-2003, 09:44 AM
New Sheriff

No offense meant here but if you really don' t know what you are doing then buying a bow off of ebay seems foolish...

Look in the pawn shops or newspapers in your area, most any bow built will work for you as a starter bow but just make sure it is in sound condition. Check the limbs for signs of splitting or delamination of the fiberglass, check the string for wear (they can be replaced for around $20 at you local pro shop), and make sure it has a rest, sights, and all the stuff you are gonna need, that stuff adds up quickly when you go to buy it seperately.
Old 08-01-2003, 09:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

I will suggest you go to the local pro shops and check out 2nd hand bows.
At this time of the year a lot of guys are trading in their 1 or 2 year old bows on new ones.
Plus getting one from a pro shop the will set the bow up to suit you.
Old 08-01-2003, 10:04 AM

good points guys, thnx. think i could get one at a pro shop for under 80-100 bucks?
Old 08-01-2003, 10:16 AM
nub

At least go to a pro shop and have them dertermine the size you need. Once you know that, if they don' t have a cheap one, you can check the papers. The pro shop would be worth spending a few extra bucks just for all the help and mentoring you could receive. Most shop owners would be glad to go a bit out of their way if you purchase from them.